Astorlite V or 6228 for votives and tarts

Hi everyone, I have been searching and reading trying to decide what to use for votives and tarts. Based on what I have been reading I plan on using 75% Astorlite V or 6228 plus 25% container wax for votives and tarts (I've been using leftover container wax for tarts but too messy and doesn't slide out of burners when through). I have 10lb samples of both from Alabaster. The Astor V is $61.05/55#, in pellet form and supposedly no repours. The 6228 is $79.30/60#, slab and need relief holes and repour. Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated!

I can't understand why you want to add container wax to votives. I use, and have since my first week in business, 6228 for all my votives, pillars, and tarts. My customers have made very favorable comments since day one, and continue to buy.

6228 is easy to work with, and the candles & tarts just drop out of the molds. Cleaning the molds is easy, since there isn't anything left in them-I just wipe with a soft cloth or paper towel.

I don't know about the Astor V, but 6228 needs notheing else.

Fredron

Thanks for the reply Fredron. I was thinking about adding the small amount of container wax cause I found a lot of posts suggesting that to prevent cracking. I will try both. Sure would be nice to just use the one wax for em. It sure is expensive!

I love 6228 - this is my pillar / votive wax of choice. I don't add anything to it to make votives or pillars but for tarts I do blend with my parasoy container wax.

Call me weird but I prefer a bit lower MP for tarts since all electric warmers are not created equal. I use 2/3 container parasoy and 1/3 6228. If using a mold I put them in the freezer for about 15 minutes and they pop right out. If packaging the next day the "freezer" method is not necessary. I have recently switched to using foil liners for my tarts so mold release is not an issue anymore.

As far as removing the old tart from a warmer, my customers either do the "freezer" method or dump the melted wax.

Sorry for the lengthy reply :tiptoe:

Thanks for the reply Fredron. I was thinking about adding the small amount of container wax cause I found a lot of posts suggesting that to prevent cracking. I will try both. Sure would be nice to just use the one wax for em. It sure is expensive!

Now this is JMO sooo... unless YOU'VE had problems with cracking, why start out with a more complicated mix? I'm curious where you read these posts at? Personally I've never heard of paraffin votives cracking, but I do miss a lot more the older I get...lol.

Start simple. If you run into a problem, correct it. If you try to make a candle by preventing every possible problem that COULD happen, you may as well grab the jacket and hunt down the padded room with you name on it before you ever start. ;)

I don't do votives. I have been testing Astorite V for tarts/melts. I plan to switch to this wax because I like the one pour and for me it has great throw. It does have a somewhat higher melt point. Other people have said it did not throw well for them in votives. I have not used 6228 wax.

Hey thanks a lot for the input. I'm about to make an order at Alabaster and just trying to decide what wax to get. Off the subject but I have been very pleased with their CS, jars, wax but have been disappointed so far with the fo's, seem weak to me.