First show of the season

Well my friend and I just did our first show of the year. It was the Colorado Chocolate Festival held in Denver. 3 hours Friday night and 8 hours today. Together we brought in about $800. Not totally fantastic but it's the most in sales volume that either or us have done, so we are pretty excited!

She does wonderful unique jewelry and I do the rest (candles, bath and body stuff).

This was also the first show where we accepted credit cards -- I signed up with Propay and definitely think that was a good choice -- over half the sales were CC purchases.

I had some discussions with a few people about future opportunities.... a dentist who is possibly looking for a custom lip balm, a hotel person for chocolate themed stuff, a massage therapist, a lady looking for wedding favors, etc.... Even if only one of them pans out that will be huge for me!

I introduced my Cocoa Butter Hand Lotion that was lightly chocolate scented (to complement the festival theme) and it was a big hit! Had a sample bottle out and everyone who tried it really liked how it made their hands feel and how nice it smelled. I think it will become a staple in my line! All of my chocolate stuff did pretty well -- almost sold out of both the lotion and the shower gel, chocolate candles and raspberry truffle candles.

After all of that, man am I tired! I have pics that I'll upload later...... but I am very pleased that the first show went so well! We have a very tiny sale next weekend in support of the AVON Walk and then another actual show on June 1st. Then it's a long break until the fall season. I don't know how you show professionals do this all the time! You have my total respect. :grin2:

Thanks! :grin2: Luckily for me (and my customers) my products have gotten tons better since that first swap I joined..... Lots of experimentation should definitely pay off.

Oh... I have to add..... there was a Partylite lady right behind me. I played into some marketing gimmick ~ I kept hearing people ask her if her candles were soy.... and she had to say no. So I stuck some little labels out that said mine were hand-poured, soy blend candles. I was quite honest when people asked -- I told them that they were a blend and talked to them about the differences between the two waxes... and that ultimately there was no "better" candle - it was more preference than anything else.

So a few hours into selling on Saturday, the Partylite lady comes over and talks to us. She says she's confused.... what company is my stuff from? We told her it was ours.... and that we made everything ourselves. That seemed to throw her a little bit - like, you can do that?. Then she tried to trade some candles for some of my friends jewelry. :Werd: I'm sure some Partylite reps are fine -- her light bulb ran a little dim anyways. But it was sure amusing listening her tell people that they were the largest homebased something or the other and spend millions of dollars in R&D trying to make perfect candles. I spent thousands in my kitchen -- does that count???

We have a Choco Fest in this area in Sept. Organized by a radio station. Never heard of it till 2 years ago.I didn't get in the one year like I wanted but made a choco basket for a Church to sell. Mostly all there is at this show is food(candy, cakes pies and all choco) but I was different and made candles etc. Last year it slipped by again so this year I am supposed to get some info in the mail.The show is growing every year so I want to get in soon. Hope the candles sell but so many times I have people say I don't like the food candles they make my hungry. Anyone else hear that alot too???

LynnS

I was quite honest when people asked -- I told them that they were a blend and talked to them about the differences between the two waxes... and that ultimately there was no "better" candle - it was more preference than anything else.

So a few hours into selling on Saturday, the Partylite lady comes over and talks to us. She says she's confused.... what company is my stuff from? We told her it was ours.... and that we made everything ourselves. That seemed to throw her a little bit - like, you can do that?. Then she tried to trade some candles for some of my friends jewelry. :Werd: I'm sure some Partylite reps are fine -- her light bulb ran a little dim anyways. But it was sure amusing listening her tell people that they were the largest homebased something or the other and spend millions of dollars in R&D trying to make perfect candles. I spent thousands in my kitchen -- does that count???

I think I wub you lol! Poor partylite gal though. I wouldn't want the overpriced stuff. I wish you had a pix at the look on her face. I'm just thinking deer in the headlights look on a bleached blonde. (I may have had too much lip balm today so am a little loopy.)

She sure was blonde, it was quite possibly bleached, but I have to give her props for being quite dedicated to her product. The tealights she was handing out as samples were BUTT UGLY, tho.

I didn't eat chocolate -- when I'm at a show I get so focused on what I'm doing that I don't do much else..... must learn to enjoy myself during a show!

I didn't really get comments about the foodie candles making people hungry (in a bad way) but then again the chocolate candles were the only food scents I had.

PA -- they're doing the Chcolate Festival every year for the next few years at the Denver Merchandise Mart -- same weekend, too. Come by next year :P There was definitely some high ened chocolate there but plenty of non-food vendors as well. Did I mention free wine tastings, too?

Our next show is June 1st so I'm excited to see how that one goes. The good news is that we've purchased out show displays, so I think the only things I need to buy are more labels. The "profit" from the last show is going to pay for show supplies. :rolleyes2