I've gone mushy! Ewww....

elfcat

I have no idea what happened! I was making soap with aloe glycerin base over a double boiler. I added some vitamin E, green dye, peppermint, and eucalyptus EO and poured 3 bars. I added mint leaves to those bars then stirred what was left in the pot and poured into molds this time it came out clear and watery. Those bars turned opaque white and mushy! :confused:

I've never seen it separate like this so I was kinda shocked. I stirred constantly and it was only in the pot an extra few minutes before I poured it. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions? The first three bars came out beautiful and hard.

Sounds like water got into it somehow.

I once had a metal bowl that had a tiny hole in the bottom of it that I did not know was there. You could only see a bit of discoloration where it looked like it had scorched. While washing it I found the hole. Also if your inner pan is too shallow perhaps some of the water boiled up over the edges, it could have tipped, who knows. I'd add a hand full more base and try to remelt just to see if you can burn off or dilute whatever it is that got into it. :confused:

ETS: Even though you feel like you stirred it well, sometimes that is the culprit with heavier types of oils. Seems Eucalyptus and Peppermint are both one of those oils that i have had the same issue with... you think you have stirred it well but as soon as you stop it settles into the bottom of the pan. If this is the case, I would guess you can tell so by taking a whiff. The gooey batch would be way stronger and almost unpleasant in fragrance. Just a thought though! <shrug>

Let us know how it turns out if you try or do fix it.

Are you sure you used the same amounts of additives in both batches? Just a thought :)

Sadly, they were the same batch! I poured into three molds then I poured the leftover of the same batch into another set of molds and it was clear and watery. It was a twilight zone moment for me. :shocked2:

Thanks! I will remelt it down with more base just to see what happens.
I don't think that is a good idea - if you add a bad product to fresh base you will most likely end up with simply a greater amount of bad product.

Granted, that's absolutely a possibility CB!

But I'm not sure what other suggestions one could give other than to just write it off, and I'm too inquisitive and stubborn to do that so quickly, lol.

If it was 'me', I'd want to know if it was a simple matter of too much oil / water left in the second half of the batch. The only way to really know that is to dilute the possible oil/water with more straight base. But again, it would depend on your supply of M&P and how precious it is to you and how hard it may be for you to get.

So heed CB's words and do what ya can. :grin2:

Ok just out of curioustity I remelted it down with more base and repoured into molds. Strangely they have a slight hint of green to them but they never hardened. They were like white/green jello. Seriously, they even jiggled!

So I will chalk this one up to a strange mystery. I am out of aloe M&P so I will have to reorder and do it again to see what happens.