How long do you cure Castile type Soaps..

8-GRAN-ONES

I made a Castile type soap..it is only 70% olive the rest butters and other oils...

Has anyone made this type of Castile? How long did you let yours cure?

Mine is 3 months old now..

I have used a small sliver..

It sure feels wonderful...

And it is hard as a rock...

May I ask what is a castile soap? I used to think this was any veggie soap, but from this thread is seems that it is some special kind of vegetable soap. Could someone explain it to me, and also the benefits of this soap over other vegetable soaps and what is the reason it needs to cure for a long time? Thank you so much!

A true castile soap is 100% olive oil..it needs to cure about 1 year....I have never used or made 100% castile..but from what I have read..it is wonderful and mild...

My soap that I made is a castile type, I guess you could say, because it is only 70% oilive..I added some other oils and butters to my recipe...It is also very mild....and with a good cure, it is supposed to get better and better...it is already a very hard bar, and feels great. Hope I have answered your question..

I am sure there are others here that can give some more good imput..

I made a 100% EVOO batch for my granddaughter on April 11. I used a 45% lye solution and when it cooled off from gelling, it was almost too hard to cut with my cutter.

While I know that Castiles need a nice long cure, I've been using an end of this batch at the kitchen sink...the later is creamy and abundant already, so I can only imagine how good it will be in another 4-6 months or so.

I love Castile's (or Castile-types, or Bastiles, or whatever everyone else prefers to call them)! I make different kinds of them all the time. Some have 50% olive, 60% olive, 80% olive, and 100% olive.

I just recently started making one with 72% olive. The 72% olive is based on recipes I found on the net for an olive oil soap called Savon de Marseilles which is an old and well-known olive oil soap from France. From what I've read, it's traditionally made from 72% olive oil, with the rest of the oil percentage being made up of coconut oil and palm oil. I don't know exactly how much of a percentage of the latter 2 that I should use though, because the only percent they ever divulge is the 72% for the olive amount. I came up with my own recipe using the given 72% olive and fudging the rest using SoapCalc to go off of, and I replaced the palm in the recipe with tallow since I have no palm on hand, but plenty of tallow. I also put French Green Clay in it and it turned out great. My DH loves to shave with it.

I use all my Castile's or Castile-types after a four week cure, and they are fine (I soap with a 33% lye solution). While it's true the Castile's are even better with a longer cure, I've found them to be plenty nice enough for me personally to use by 4 weeks. But then again, I'm one of those that doesn't mind the slime (or as I prefer to call it- 'the colloidal suspension caused by the high amount of oleic acid') on the younger soaps at all. :D

MarieJeanette

A true castile soap is 100% olive oil..it needs to cure about 1 year....I have never used or made 100% castile..but from what I have read..it is wonderful and mild...

My soap that I made is a castile type, I guess you could say, because it is only 70% oilive..I added some other oils and butters to my recipe...It is also very mild....and with a good cure, it is supposed to get better and better...it is already a very hard bar, and feels great. Hope I have answered your question..

I am sure there are others here that can give some more good imput..

Thanks for the information. Is the soap not slimy? I used to buy Kiss My Face brand soaps, they were made from olive oil, it was the only pure veggie soap I could find some years ago and they were really slimy, that is why I am asking. :rolleyes2

I like this, can I use it? LOL:thumbsup:

Go right on ahead! :smiley2: Nobody actually owns the term as far as I know. It's a pretty common chemical term. I came across it one day as I was reading a chemist describing what the 'slime' on Castile soap actually is and how it is formed. I loved the term so much that I started using it. It definitely sounds much, much nicer than 'slime' if you ask me. :yes:

MarieJeanette