Promoting Going Green

GREEN IS THE NEW STUPID!!

I don't think that for a minute! I just hate people marketing to folks on that basis if their stuff or business really ISN'T "green." I think the general public wants to do the right thing environmentally, but most are not educated about exactly what that IS, then along come weasels who tell folks what they want to hear, cash in, and the customer doesn't even realize they have been a victim of BS. That's where consumers really NEED to educate themselves and apply critical thinking skills to marketing BEFORE they purchase. I believe it was Aristotle who encouraged people to "Question EVERYTHING!" Never assume that because someone is an "expert" that their point of view is loftier or more "correct" than your own. Smart people accept things along the way that they SHOULD question the same as not-so-smart people. It takes more effort to educate oneself, but, IMHO, it is worth the energy expended to not be a chump who is easily preyed upon. That's the only way one stops the folks who have a lack of personal ethics and will employ any method to sell their products. When their "game" is found out by the public, they lose.

I don't think that for a minute! I just hate people marketing to folks on that basis if their stuff or business really ISN'T "green." I think the general public wants to do the right thing environmentally, but most are not educated about exactly what that IS, then along come weasels who tell folks what they want to hear, cash in, and the customer doesn't even realize they have been a victim of BS. That's where consumers really NEED to educate themselves and apply critical thinking skills to marketing BEFORE they purchase. I believe it was Aristotle who encouraged people to "Question EVERYTHING!" Never assume that because someone is an "expert" that their point of view is loftier or more "correct" than your own. Smart people accept things along the way that they SHOULD question the same as not-so-smart people. It takes more effort to educate oneself, but, IMHO, it is worth the energy expended to not be a chump who is easily preyed upon. That's the only way one stops the folks who have a lack of personal ethics and will employ any method to sell their products. When their "game" is found out by the public, they lose.

Good post!

This was the premise behind the thread the man started - touting everything as green. I should have pointed out that he was being facetious.

Your post on the soy was also a good point.

I think green is an admirable GOAL. Certainly trying will be a step in the right direction. Small changes can have big results...

But achievable? Well perhaps. For some. In some cases. But it's a huge, far reaching challenge...

I agree, it is a challenge. Honestly, if everyone just did one thing or changed one routine or habit, it does make a huge difference. We don't need to be completely "green" in order to help. There are so many things people can do that would not affect there lives that would help in cleaning things up. Just being more responsible with the things we buy and throw away or recycle.

I know that's not what the thread is about but I'm such a tree hugger, I had to comment! :grin2:

Here is one candle website that I was browsing through and after reading I am not finding why the candle is Green. www.simplinature.com

Your post caught my attention and I decided to take a look at this site to for my own curiosity. I, too, couldn't find ANYTHING stating why they are "green" and noticed that they state the following:

"Simpli Nature is a "green" soy candle company. "

"No added chemical dyes" yet their candles thought not "dyed" are fragranced and I didn't see anything about them using EO's to fragrance the candles, which even then doesn't make them "green". This made me wonder what do they think a fragrance oil is other than a man made "chemical".:confused:

They also stated they wanted "the best clean burning soy candle on the market. We developed our own soy wax recipe that burns straight across and down." Isn't this typical of soy candles in general????? Maybe the FO's are affecting my brain and I'm missing something here.:grin2:

Kathy F.

They also stated they wanted "the best clean burning soy candle on the market. We developed our own soy wax recipe that burns straight across and down." Isn't this typical of soy candles in general????? Maybe the FO's are affecting my brain and I'm missing something here.:grin2:

Kathy F.

As opposed to burning upside down?