Body Butter gone grainy

Jeana

I made some really nice creamy body butter. About a week after making it, it went grainy. If you rub it betweens your hands the warmth melts all the grains but I would rather have it not get like this.

Does anyone know how to avoid this?

Was it made with shea butter? Often times shea will get grainy if it is heated too hot and cools too fast. Like you said the grains will melt, but I agree it is nicer without them in the first place. My last batch of mango shea did that. I got a batch of shea that was grainy in the first place too and that didn't help either.:mad: Soapymomma

It did have shea in it. If I avoid using shea will this eliminate this issue altogether? I'm not stuck on shea, I have other butters I can use, mango, sal, olive, or others. I just saw some of my lip balms are going grainy as well. They contain shea too.

I have had problems with shea turning grainy too. It is very frustrating. I have found that when I make my whipped shea, the shea butter I am using must be free of grains. I try some out on my hands to be sure the original product is grain free. Also I do not melt my shea at all. This is where I ran into problems in the past. I would melt my shea and then when it solidified it would turn grainy in a few days. I have had no problems at all as long as the shea is kept at room temp and I just whip and add my oils. If the shea is quite hard you can soften it a bit in the microwave, but no not melt.

I also made a product with mango butter and it was grainy too. I think it is just the nature of some mango butters. I love kokum butter and so far I haven't had any problems with it turning grainy.

Ann