Fish Oil

AkainePSP

What can I use in place of Fish oil? I am having ahard time finding this in liquid form. I can find it in capsules but not the liquid itself.

Thanks,

Kelly

hmmm, I am not sure what benifits you are trying to get from it. But it may be easier to just break open the capusels. I can find fish oil in large capsules and with only using 3% you may only need about 5 capsules.

hmmm, I am not sure what benifits you are trying to get from it. But it may be easier to just break open the capusels. I can find fish oil in large capsules and with only using 3% you may only need about 5 capsules.

I ended up going to big lots and getting some capsules. This is what I have done with the fish oil : http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?p=657634#post657634

Thanks!

I don't know squat about B&B but the thread caught my eye. Interesting idea to use fish oil in a lotion.

I'm very familiar with the stuff because I use fish oils in the cat food I make. One thing you should know is that it contains long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (including omega-3s like EPA and DHA that make it a great dietary supplement) that go rancid very, very easily. THat can make them harmful instead of helpful. Keep the fish oil in the fridge, even if it's capsules. You might also consider an antioxidant system for the balm.

Carlson Labs has some good fish oil products, but there are others. Some are available bottled instead of gel caps, but they don't stay fresh as long. My fave supplier is House of Nutrition. They'll ship small orders Priority Mail and you can enter coupon code HOUSE for a 5% discount.

Thanks so much for the info and link. I wan't aware of the fact that fish was somewhat like flaxseed as far as refredgerating. I will go and do that now. I am intrigued by the fact that you make your own cat food. May I be nosey and ask how you do this?

all the oils on both those sites seem to be flavored. or am I missing something?

Bottled fish oils are commonly flavored for palatability. I thought there would be a few unflavored ones too, but if you don't see any then maybe supplement suppliers aren't the right source. For my own purposes I use the capsules because they keep longer.

Thanks so much for the info and link. I wan't aware of the fact that fish was somewhat like flaxseed as far as refredgerating. I will go and do that now. I am intrigued by the fact that you make your own cat food. May I be nosey and ask how you do this?

Yes it's like flax and I think maybe borage oil. I read some studies about modifying the fatty acid profile of pet food and they actually used flax seed oil for that, but the animal-sourced product is more suitable for cats.

Cats are exquisitely specialized carnivores and a lot of commercial foods aren't well formulated for them. Companion animals benefit from a higher social status than they used to have, plus cats are protected from a lot of problems by being kept indoors, but the other side of the coin is an alarming increase in some awful diseases that are often diet-related.

There's more than one solution for feeding cats well, but the one I ultimately adopted is a homemade diet. I buy high-quality frozen ground meat and bone from special suppliers who sell it specifically for pet food, then I add some supplementary ingredients to round it out nutritionally. It's based on a recipe that's been refined over many years and used successfully by countless people.

It's some extra trouble but I would never go back. The kitties love what I make for them and thrive on it. They've never been healthier.