Wide mouth 8oz canning jars....??

Last year, this wonderful size largely disappeared from the shelves of local stores where I have purchased them for the past 30 years!! *faint* I was able to find them at only one store for $9.99. I gagged but paid it because this is a really good size/shape for container candles. While shopping last week, I saw a few dozen at another smaller store for $7.79, so I snapped up those suckers so fast it made the checker's head swim! I plan to speak with the manager there to see if he can order me some on a regular basis.

$6.60 is a BARGAIN!! Perhaps you can order some for a more constant supply!

The rule about these is to always keep your eyes peeled for them in every possible store that even MIGHT carry canning supplies. Once you locate them at a good price, ask if you can order to insure a constant supply.

Can someone post a pic of this jar. I am having a hard time picturing it. I bought some wide mouth 16oz and some of the newer "Elite Collection" 16oz jars. Reg 16oz WM were 8.58/12 and the Elite were 4.67/4. The elite remind me of an over sized 8oz sq mason but with writing on only 1 side. Makes it nice to label!!

I picked them up at Wallyworld last night. I was doing the Happy Dance in the isle when I saw they finally had their canning stuff for the season.

I had not seen this jar in the stores before. The canning supplies came in I guess. They also had the 8oz smooth sided jellies for 6.50 too. I have not seen the smooth sided ones in stores either. maybe it is just that they sell well in this area.

We are leaving this area if DBF gets the traveling job(we will know by Friday)...so I am going over and clean em out. We will still be in OR though (K-Falls) so maybe the freddies or wallyworld will have them over there. I am SO ready to get OUT of the RAIN!!:mad:

tootie

• 4 months later...
I use that jar with a single CDN 14 (in most cases) in NatureWax C3, if that helps... it's 2-15/16" inside diameter. :)

Hi Stella,

I just bought from Ace a dozen of those 8oz wide mouth jars for 7.45...You use the c-3 wax as I do.....I only use the htp wicks....Can you recommend what size you would go with?

I'm testing now a 126 and 1212...but I only single wick....

I do have a few cds I got I have been testing with...

Can you suggest where I could start with them? Though I really prefer the htp because I have tons of them..

How do you wick? Single or double?

Thanks!

Trapp

Not Stella but this might help with a starting point. I found these comparisons in the archives. It references CDs not CDNs but if I remember correctly I think the coating is the only difference. Please correct me if I am wrong . .

HTP31 = CD4

HTP41 = CD5

HTP52 = CD6

HTP62 = CD7

HTP73 = CD8

HTP83 = CD10

HTP93 = CD12

HTP104 = CD14

HTP105 = CD16

HTP126 = CD18

HTP1212 = CD20

HTP1313 = CD22

I single wick and use CDNs. Dunno the equivalent HTP...

here's a chart with the range of recommendations from Wickit...

http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html

While they list CDs and CDNs as equivalent, I have not found that to be the case. CDNs tend to burn more efficiently and slightly hotter than do CDs because of the treatment applied to them. They are the same wick except for the treatment.

Hi Brenda,

Ok that list you gave me....how do the htps and cd's rate as far as heat is concernced?

I mean is an htp hotter than the cd or vice versa?

I would think that the cd is a little hotter than the htp like for example I've been making tin can candles from vetable tin cans....The 93 struggled to much for me and the 104 was just too hot...so I went with the cd12 and it is perfect...It was just slightly hotter than the htp 93 which is what I was looking for....Am I correct? The cd's run a litter hotter?

Trappeur

I single wick and use CDNs. Dunno the equivalent HTP...

here's a chart with the range of recommendations from Wickit...

http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html

While they list CDs and CDNs as equivalent, I have not found that to be the case. CDNs tend to burn more efficiently and slightly hotter than do CDs because of the treatment applied to them. They are the same wick except for the treatment.

So Stella, would you say this is how (you) would rate these?

htp: the least hottest of the 3?

cd: a little hotter than the htp?

cdn: a little hotter than the cd?

In that order?

Do you get what I mean? lol

Trapp

Hi Brenda,

Ok that list you gave me....how do the htps and cd's rate as far as heat is concernced?

I mean is an htp hotter than the cd or vice versa?

I would think that the cd is a little hotter than the htp like for example I've been making tin can candles from vetable tin cans....The 93 struggled to much for me and the 104 was just too hot...so I went with the cd12 and it is perfect...It was just slightly hotter than the htp 93 which is what I was looking for....Am I correct? The cd's run a litter hotter?

Trappeur

I am in the process of testing different wicks for my parasoy (long time zinc user here - lol) and I am trying to find something that is self trimming. In my seach I found the equivilent chart in the archives and have been using that as a guide. Generally speaking I am also finding the CD's do burn a slight bit hotter than the HTP's. I have another chart that gives the flame height, ROC & MP diameter per wick size. I printed a hard copy of it and need to see if I can't find the link to post . . .

OK - just checked my hard copy and it doesn't give me the link. I'll do a search and see if I can't find it.

The compiled info I had long ago printed was not posted by the originator rather emailed to me by request. I do have the info saved on my hard drive, it was formatted in MS Excel. I can email it to you if you want just PM me.

I did have this link save that I also find helpful. . . .

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_wicks.php

Trapp, I don't use HTPs so I do not know how they compare to CDNs in terms of heat. I'm sure the technical data for that wick is available somewhere... try Wickit or Wicks Unlimited - they have a lot of general information on many kinds of wicks. As for CNDs and CDs, check the manufacturer's site

http://www.technische-geflechte.de/site/english/customer-service/downloads.html

if you don't find the info elsewhere. CD's are Stabilos and CDNs are Stabilo KSTs. They changed the name a few years ago, but most folks continue to call them CDs and CDNs.