harder soap

idacandlelady

In your opinion what is the best thing to use in a batch to make a harder bar? I tried PKO in some early batches and didn't like it because I like my oils on the cool side and it always wanted to solidify on me. I really like the other qualities of my soap the way it is, just would like it a bit harder.

Do you use coconut? It makes a hard bar.

I don't use very much PKO. I try to stay under 10%

Yes I use coconut. Maybe I will try just a little (like 3-5%) PKO and see if that helps.

I'm afraid to add cocoa butter, don't really want more moisturizing for my basic soap. Maybe I'm wrong about that though. I guess I could try it both ways.

The general rule of thumb is the harder the oil is at RT, the harder the bar. The only liquid oil that makes a hard bar by itself is olive, and it will take quite a cure time to get it there (even with a discount) and olive gives a slimey lather in high quantities.

Lard, palm, tallow, cocoa butter (I use it at about 5-10%), shea butter, mango. And of course palm. I prefer lard or shea. Soaps with lard are my favorite hands down. I soap RT and make some masterbatches of oils with lard at 50% and it still will work. I mix it really well, then keep mixing with the stick blender every now and again as things cool. I have never had any problems with it seperating out unless it wasn't mixed well to begin with (happened only once!)

you can try adding up to 3% stearic acid as well, too much stearic will cause soap on a stick so don't OD on that.

BW and babassu will also help make a bar harder. Be careful with the BW amounts, it can diminish lather.
I had thought about BW but was afraid of the effects. I do use Babassu at 4%. Maybe I should up the amount???
The general rule of thumb is the harder the oil is at RT, the harder the bar. The only liquid oil that makes a hard bar by itself is olive, and it will take quite a cure time to get it there (even with a discount) and olive gives a slimey lather in high quantities.

Lard, palm, tallow, cocoa butter (I use it at about 5-10%), shea butter, mango. And of course palm. I prefer lard or shea. Soaps with lard are my favorite hands down. I soap RT and make some masterbatches of oils with lard at 50% and it still will work. I mix it really well, then keep mixing with the stick blender every now and again as things cool. I have never had any problems with it seperating out unless it wasn't mixed well to begin with (happened only once!)

you can try adding up to 3% stearic acid as well, too much stearic will cause soap on a stick so don't OD on that.

Maybe I will try this. Or maybe I am trying foolishly to fix something that isn't broke. My bars are hard I just feel like they could be harder faster.

I tried sodium lactate once(I thought I had heard it mentioned) but my batch stayed a bit sticky, it still is after @6mos. But I'm not sure if maybe it was the FO or the SL. I just haven't tried again.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.