First Try.....Just Got our First Order......TODAY!!

Wow, we just ordered our first order, for the begining of our candle making career ( Hopefully )..

Everyone told us to try lots of things and have fun, so

I ordered Everything from PEAKS, this Go around to see how it all goes from there.

I ordered 50lbs of CBA, and 50lbs 135 and 50 of 464

Figured this would be good for testing.

Then I ordered all 47 fo's in 8oz bottles.

And about 1200 different wicks , ( 2 sizes of each, HTP, COTTON CORE, LX )

along with

750 4oz travel Tins.

Plus a soy starter kit, that has a bunch of stuff too.

I got a lot more stuff, but that is the basics.

Well my wife just called me at work and told me it all came in....She also said I went way overboard...

8 boxes from UPS LOL

Ohh well.

She said she wanted to make it work.

So I figured that would be plenty to do a lot of testing with.

This is our first shipment and a new begining.

Hope we can make this work.

Thank you guys so much for all your advice through all the different threads.

Got so many tins cause I figured at first I would be simple and do

1lb wax, 1oz Fo, and do 5 tins, each with different wicks. One set in each wax. ( 5tins x 47 fo's x 3 waxes= 705 tins...WOW) To start testing. Easier math this way.

I will have a little wax left over but that is ok. I will make something with it.

Maybe make one huge compound scent candle with the little that is left over form each 16oz batch.lol

What do you guys think?

Wish me luck?

We will be busy for a long while filling all those tins.

I hope this works out, cause this hobbie is costing a lot.

OMG - that is alot of STUFF!!!! LOL

You will be very, very, very busy!

Be sure to record all of your testing, so you will have it to refer to. It can get confusing when you are trying different waxes, wicks, FO.

Good Luck!

It sounds like you bought the whole store out. lol Unfortunately, you have entered into a very expensive hobby/business so don't expect it to get better money spending wise. It is just too addicting and getting soy down takes awhile which can mean spending more money than you want. But in the end, I think it is worth it. I would suggest to you to stick with one wax and one container until you have that mastered. Otherwise, you may be all over the place with your testing which equates to more money out of your pocket.

Once you get this testing down, be prepared to test again for changes in the temps due to a change of seasons. Changes in the seasons can affect how your candle burns and what works for you now, may change when fall/winter hits. For example, I have to change my formula with a change of the seasons. Batch lots of wax can change from batch to batch which can mess up your candle and the way it burns. Be prepared for that. Also not all FOs work in soy so you may have bought some fragrances that won't work. And some FOs will need an entirely different size and type wick than others. Different containers even though the same diameter may use an entirely different type/size wick as well. Be prepared to test for that.

And before you sell, get your insurance in place. Be careful if doing this in your home. Some homeowners insurance frown up this and will cancel your policy if they find out you make and sell candles out of your home. Some don't mind.

This is not any kind of get rich quick business. Those of us that make and sell candles have been doing this for years, working hard at our craft. As a newbie you have so much to learn, lots more money you will spend and a long road ahead of you getting all those FOs properly tested. What works for one person, may not work for you so you must test for yourself and not rely on the experience of others as your testing. But preserverance does pay off and this beast can be tamed. Good luck and have fun. Now the addiction begins for you. :)

Well this is a business purely for fun, for us.

My wife just wanted something to do.

Money is well...lets just say, that we could retire...

We just had another baby in june and my wife has a friend of hers that is over most of the time, and they watch there kids together in our home. So they wanted something to do where they could create there own success.

So Me being who I am...I just bought everything.

I didnt know what would work and what wouldn't, but I figured this would be enough to get a good foothold of what scents work in what wax, and what she likes and doesnt.

So who knows She might be the next Yankee candle, or maybe we just have 750 or so Presents LOL.

Geez...I am going hairless testing ONE wax and 2 different size containers!!*faint* I cant even imagine three waxes and all those scents!!

tootie

I would agree, but we are going to do one wax at a time and one scent at a time.

We will probably find one we like better, and just kinda of stick to that one. But until then we will just have fun.

We have plenty of time.

LOL.

Well what can you do.

You cant test without having supplies, and everyone tells me that soy is difficult and you need to TEST TEST TEST.

So I hope we can figure out a good solution with what we have lol.

Thanks again for all you help everyone.

Keep you responses coming, I like the long threads LOL,.

8 oz of each and every oil that Peaks carries? What a nice man you are and what a lucky woman she is. She's going to have a blast and you've just enabled an addiction ready to happen. Let us know how it goes or even have her become a member here. After all, you can't be a candle addict without being a member of Candletech. It's the law :D

8 oz of each and every oil that Peaks carries? What a nice man you are and what a lucky woman she is. She's going to have a blast and you've just enabled an addiction ready to happen. Let us know how it goes or even have her become a member here. After all, you can't be a candle addict without being a member of Candletech. It's the law :D

lol,

I gave her the site.

She just hasnt signed on.

babies and all, and when I get home, we do other things.

I will get her on here.

I just want to see that wife and friend of hers get one damn thing done with the babies, LOL.

Ain't that the truth, I can't seem to get anything done with my youngest, I get to pour a batch of Tarts during the day while he takes his 30 min. power nap.

Good Luck to your wife and her friend. It's a good thing you guys have money because I know quite a few people that have gone in debt over this type of business.

Mindy