stearin or vybar?

:confused: Hi there, i'm rather new to candle making, just started actually, and have a question about additives.

When making container candles, do I just use Vybar, or do I add stearin as well. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but i'm not 100% sure. The wax i'm using is parrafin container wax from candle lights in the uk.

Also for pillars, using parafin pillar wax, do i just add stearin?

I think i have the quantities right, 1-2 % for vybar and 5-10% for stearin.

TIA for any help.:smiley2:

Some waxes are preformulated so that you can use them without additional additives. Firstly, determine if you have that kind of wax by consulting with your supplier, or give us links to the products you purchased and we'll probably be able to figure it out. If the waxes are preformulated, then theoretically all you have to add is fragrance, dye and ultraviolet light inhibitor (optional, but recommended to protect colors from fading).

If the waxes you purchased are plain paraffin, you'll have to decide on your own additives. There's no set rule about what to use or how much; it's based on experimentation.

For a low-meltpoint paraffin in a container, 1 tsp Vybar 260 and 1 oz FO per pound of wax could be a starting point. For pillar candles, you can use Vybar 103 or stearic acid or both. You'll have to see how the additives affect the look of the candle, the fragrance retention and the burn. The Vybar would be particularly recommended if you want to use higher fragrance loads.