Help wicking 12oz Madison

Hi! I have been searching for info on wicking a 12oz Madison jar but haven't found anything. Does anyone use the 12oz madison jar & if so what are you wicking with.

I've tried the 60-44-18 cotton but it doesn't make complete melt pool. I am considering the htp 105 and htp 1212.

Any suggestions or experiences is appreciated!

I don't use straight soy...but for my blend - I have double wicked these with HTP 52's....I am in the beginning stages of retesting all my scents with my blend - so far 11 out of 12 have worked....

I didn't considered single wicking them..but a 104 or 105 may be a starting point for single wicking.

Glad you posted this. I am working on the 12 oz. Madisons as well. Started off double wicking Palm in them and the burn was great but got discoloration with several oils from the heat....even though the flames looked good. It was not soot. So, now I am trying to single wick it with the Palm but not sure if it is going to work for me. I am trying a blend right now (one that I am used too) and so far one CD-14 was too big. You would know that I do not have the next size down so I am now going to try a LX 22 which is the biggest I have of the LX's right now. You may want to try one wick down from the CD-14 if you have those. I am not a real experienced single wicker so have to do some guessing to start off with different types of wicks I am not familiar with. I have some HTP's and Eco's that I may try too. I will let you know how it goes.

Bizzy, I may give the double wicking a try as well with the blend, but since I do not want to color it, I may have that discoloration a lot more with two wicks than one....this is what I have found. Do you color your wax?

I don't use straight soy...but for my blend - I have double wicked these with HTP 52's....I am in the beginning stages of retesting all my scents with my blend - so far 11 out of 12 have worked....

I didn't considered single wicking them..but a 104 or 105 may be a starting point for single wicking.

Thanks mizbizzyb - i will post my results! I'd rather have a single wick so i'm hoping this will work.

I've used premier's in them and am testing the ultra core's as well with C-3. HTP 105's are good if your fo and wax work with them. Premier 775's work but they self trim so they need to be spun to work at getting a centered melt pool.

Summer, not sure if I missed it, but what type of wax are you using.....soy or a soy/paraffin blend? The one wick down from the CD-14 may be too small for you depending on what type of wax. It was too big for the paraffin soy blend I am tyring.

Bizzy, I may give the double wicking a try as well with the blend, but since I do not want to color it, I may have that discoloration a lot more with two wicks than one....this is what I have found. Do you color your wax?

Yes...I color my wax. I was considering not to color for this jar....but it is easier for me to color since I color for my other containers.

Yes...I color my wax. I was considering not to color for this jar....but it is easier for me to color since I color for my other containers.

Thanks. I may give the double wicking a try with the 52's and see what happens. Gotta get this line going.....at least of couple of fragrances soon.

Thanks. I may give the double wicking a try with the 52's and see what happens. Gotta get this line going.....at least of couple of fragrances soon.

I feel ya...they take forever to test burn though - rofl. At least for me since I work 2 other jobs...lmao. But I try to get at least 4 hours a day at least 5-6 days a week in.

Summer, not sure if I missed it, but what type of wax are you using.....soy or a soy/paraffin blend? The one wick down from the CD-14 may be too small for you depending on what type of wax. It was too big for the paraffin soy blend I am tyring.

Holly, i am using EL pure soy wax - forgot to add!! I've had luck in other jars with the htp's and 60-44 so i am hoping to continue with these. the 60-44 wasn't hot enough - didn't produce full melt pool. I am pouring today using htps - so will post my results.

I feel ya...they take forever to test burn though - rofl. At least for me since I work 2 other jobs...lmao. But I try to get at least 4 hours a day at least 5-6 days a week in.

Yeah, they do take forever and now I am set back because of finding out later after I finalized two scents about the discoloration in Palm in the next two FO's I was testing. It is like I have to start all over again. :undecided I do not work out of the home except for a couple of group fitness classes a week, so I spend hours on candles. Although, I have kids, husband, pets (includes 3 horses), and a house to keep clean. So, I am juggling a lot. I don't know how you do it with two jobs. I have enough trouble juggling everything with just the aerobic job.

Did you decide to double wick these because you had trouble getting the one wick to get a complete meltpool? I am running a test right now with 1 LX 24 and the flame looks great but I sure hope it is not going to lag on getting the rest melted. I need to stay up for it and I want to go to bed. :tongue2: I may try to double wick this wax but afraid that it may discolor too but I don't think it will as bad as the Palm.

the cd's work well in these jars cd18-cd22

Thanks Barbara. Are you referring to pure soy or a soy paraffin blend? The wax I am using right now has more paraffin than soy. I tried a CD-14 but it was too big. And of course I don't have the next size down in the CD's. I think I only have the sample pack of the CDN's. No matter how many wicks I have I always seem to need one that I don't have when I am testing something new. :undecided

Did you decide to double wick these because you had trouble getting the one wick to get a complete meltpool? I am running a test right now with 1 LX 24 and the flame looks great but I sure hope it is not going to lag on getting the rest melted. I need to stay up for it and I want to go to bed. :tongue2: I may try to double wick this wax but afraid that it may discolor too but I don't think it will as bad as the Palm.

I just wanted to do the double wick - I, in my own opinion like the look of a double wicked candle. Plus with my other sizes that I am switching to double also...I initially tested a single and double for burn rates, scent throw and hangup.......I would have more hang up on the single and the burn time would be about the same give or take 2 hours.

I just wanted to do the double wick - I, in my own opinion like the look of a double wicked candle. Plus with my other sizes that I am switching to double also...I initially tested a single and double for burn rates, scent throw and hangup.......I would have more hang up on the single and the burn time would be about the same give or take 2 hours.

I am usually a double wicker as well. I dislike the increased chance of hangup with single wicks, and I am one that feels the scent throw is much better with more fragrances if double wicked.

I did not have any HTP 52's, so I put in two Eco 2's and the burn is beautiful. At the 3 to 4 hours mark the flames are not too big but for the size jar I would not want them to get much bigger. Tomorrow, I am going to run a marathon burn....5 - 6 hours or maybe longer. What results do you get with your 5 - 6 hours burns? The meltpool with this candle I am testing today got a little deeper than I like.....a little more than a half inch. Do you have this happen. I notice that most blends (not all) will get a deeper meltpool than soy when double wicked....especially in a 3 inch jar. I don't like this. Not that it is really bad, but I don't like the look of it and more fragrance oil can be burning off than if the meltpool was a better depth. How long to you state to burn the candle on your instructions? Sorry for all the questions. I am thinking if I double wick, I may want to instruct a 3 hour burn instead of the usual 3-4 hour burn with my soy 4 inch containers.

I am going to try another wick that is a little smaller than the Eco 2 and see if it will slow down the meltpool a bit.

Thanks Bizzy. :)

I did not have any HTP 52's, so I put in two Eco 2's and the burn is beautiful. At the 3 to 4 hours mark the flames are not too big but for the size jar I would not want them to get much bigger. Tomorrow, I am going to run a marathon burn....5 - 6 hours or maybe longer. What results do you get with your 5 - 6 hours burns? The meltpool with this candle I am testing today got a little deeper than I like.....a little more than a half inch. Do you have this happen. I notice that most blends (not all) will get a deeper meltpool than soy when double wicked....especially in a 3 inch jar. I don't like this. Not that it is really bad, but I don't like the look of it and more fragrance oil can be burning off than if the meltpool was a better depth. How long to you state to burn the candle on your instructions? Sorry for all the questions. I am thinking if I double wick, I may want to instruct a 3 hour burn instead of the usual 3-4 hour burn with my soy 4 inch containers.

I am going to try another wick that is a little smaller than the Eco 2 and see if it will slow down the meltpool a bit.

Thanks Bizzy. :)

yes the mp is a little deeper than I personally care for...but not bad. I test burn my candles for 4 hours so I put 3-4 hours on my label for this size jar. For the ones that have wider openings, longer, etc.

My first burns did not get a complete mp - it was on the 2nd and 3rd depending on the scent. And this was burning at 4 hours.

Don't ya love the testing...lol

Guest LightofDawn

I use the Ultra Core 2.402 in the 8 oz. Madison which I believe is the same diameter as the 12 oz. So far so good.