TOG Mold

thesoapbox

Do you only make the log type molds or do you make the ones where you pour the soap in, stick in the dividers and walaa (sp), you have your bars already there without having to cut?

Laziness is horrible lol! :D

I don't want to line, I don't want to cut...next I will just have to find someone else to soap for me so I can watch tv while popping bon bons in my mouth :laugh2:

Angi

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you only make the log type molds or do you make the ones where you pour the soap in, stick in the dividers and walaa (sp), you have your bars already there without having to cut?

Laziness is horrible lol! :D

I don't want to line, I don't want to cut...next I will just have to find someone else to soap for me so I can watch tv while popping bon bons in my mouth :laugh2:

Angi

I make both log & slab molds. Sorry, I don't supply bon-bons with my molds.

BTW, it's spelled "viola"

Do you have to line Jeff's molds? I think I went and bought the TOG one because it looked like you didn't have to line it as I am a retard when it comes to lining :wink2:. I probably should have read a bit more here and there about this purchase but oh well, you live and you learn. I just don't understand the concept of putting items up for sale and not actually having it available at the time. That is the one thing I learned quickly with business. If you are placing an item for sale on your website/ebay/etsy, then you better had make sure that the item was already actually made and ready to ship.

Anyways, I think I will order one from Jeff in May and see how that one works out.

Angi

I make mylar liners for all my molds...just fold and cut to fit...just wash off when finished and it is ready for another batch! I HATE freezer paper! and the whole lining with a garbage bag is too ghetto for me!...lol

I had a TOG mold and sold it...never used it as it looked sort of flimsy to me. I am not a fan of the HDPE molds....so it is wood for me. But lining with mylar is my savior!

Where do you get the mylar for your liners?

JoAnn Fabrics...just ask for Quilting Mylar. I use the clear one...you can use the frosted type...but it doesnt hold up as well. For my 2lb molds...I just use Transparencies. I have been using the same liner for over 2 yrs now!

How do you do that?? I just can't fold the freezer paper decently at all and end up making messes! So what is Mylar and how do you make the liner?

Angi

I am gonna be in KY in a few weeks...too bad I am going to eastern Ky...nowhere near Louisville...or I would make your liners for ya!

Do a search...I honestly think I posted how to make them about a yr or so ago.

Here's a pic of a 24 bar (8 lb.) slab mold with dividers that I made for one of the members here.

How much do you generally charge for a mold like that? Also round abouts for a 4 lb mold? My dad made me one similar but without dividers, and im interested in getting another one.

I just went to JoAnn's today before seeing Kimberly's liners. I was thinking of mylar like the silver fabric type stuff (which I think maybe mylar COATED) so I just could figure it. There was no clear, but the matte, frosted and graphed. I think the price was 3.49 per sheet. you would have to have molds that are small enough as the the sheets are maybe 18 by 12 inches? I didn't get one yet as I wanted to read up some more.

I'm thinking I would put a piece of saran under these liners as I pour at a fairly thin trace sometimes.

I did try those thin cutting boards that look similar to mylar, but they warped.

so you've been doing this for 2 years and no warping? My soaps are all fresh GM and can get a killer hot gel.

How much do you generally charge for a mold like that? Also round abouts for a 4 lb mold? My dad made me one similar but without dividers, and im interested in getting another one.

The price for that size mold with dividers would be $100. The lid (made of the same 1/2" HDPE) would be an additional $10. A 4 lb. mold with dividers would be $80 and the lid would be an additional $5

I just went to JoAnn's today before seeing Kimberly's liners. I was thinking of mylar like the silver fabric type stuff (which I think maybe mylar COATED) so I just could figure it. There was no clear, but the matte, frosted and graphed. I think the price was 3.49 per sheet. you would have to have molds that are small enough as the the sheets are maybe 18 by 12 inches? I didn't get one yet as I wanted to read up some more.

I'm thinking I would put a piece of saran under these liners as I pour at a fairly thin trace sometimes.

I did try those thin cutting boards that look similar to mylar, but they warped.

so you've been doing this for 2 years and no warping? My soaps are all fresh GM and can get a killer hot gel.

I pour at thin trace...mine has never leaked. For my 5lb mold...I take the sheet of mylar and fold it lenght wise in the mold...basically shove the mylar down in and then score it yo the bottom ...take it out and fold it...there is one side...repeat the process for the other side....then I take my transparencies and measure and cut out the end pieces....Taaadaaaa!

Scented and Diamond...if you guys dont have a JoAnn Fabrics near ya then try an Art Supply Store or anyplace that makes signs...mylar is used to make templates. oooorrrrrr...go to JoAnn fabrics online and order it. Scented...get the clear one...not the frosted like we had at the conference in Texas.

I make both log & slab molds. Sorry, I don't supply bon-bons with my molds.

BTW, it's spelled "viola"

Actually, it's spelled voilà.

—used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic

I'm glad some of you liked my molds. I am going to silicone liners. I have been using the HDPE liners. All liners in the future will be 1 peace. I will be getting my own site soon as I am tired of Etsy and their wording too. Like Rich at Soaphutch who I understand is currently 3 months behind, as he is a one man operation too. He has his own web site, and now I see the necessity t have mine too. I will always stress quality woodworking!

I answer all e-mails.

Paul

TOG Soap Making Tools

ETA; Anngela, your mold ships out today, 15th business day after you ordered it. You should have tracking confirmation in your e-mail now. Thank you.

soapmoldmaker@yahoo.com