Intro and wax help

Hi there...I am a noobie to all this candle stuff! I make b&b products and soaps and such but am green when it comes to wax pleasures...lol. I am a sahm to Baylee who is a VERY busy three year old, we own a farm that we purchased in July where I raise ponies and cows and chickens when spring comes. When i moved into this house I aquired a HUGE ASS box of parrafin wax and I am thinking i could whip up some votives for christmas gifts for the family and me...

Question is, should I be adding some additives to this and if so what and why....

Cara

Yup, if it's plain paraffin you'll need an additive to harden the wax and make it burn better. If you plan to make scented candles, the additive will also help hold the fragrance oil so the candles don't bleed. The most basic thing for the purpose is stearic acid, which you can add at 5-10%. Alternatively you can get something called "Universal Additive" which you can put in at 1% or so by weight. (Don't use both.) Other than that just add dye and fragrance.

If it turns out that your box contains preblended ready-to-use wax, then you don't need the wax additive.

Apart from that get yourself some votive cups and wick pins, and some tabbed wicks of the appropriate smallish size.

Have fun!

Welcome Cara! Is your wax still in its original box? If so, what is its name? Knowing the brand and type would let us know whether any additives are needed.

Thanks for the welcome! The wax is just normal old grocery store parafin, the kind that people used to use to put on top of jams....Blue box, white writing....Nothing fancy. Box says 100% pure parafin.

Thanks for the help!

Cara

I am guessing, but i think there is about 20 lbs of wax there, give or take. I do have some stearic here, Maybe tomorrow i will attempt a few votives and see how it does. I know i should heat this up to about 175, add fo and color, but what temp do i pour it?

Also, can anyone recommend a good cdn supplier of goods?

Thanks again

Cara

I am guessing, but i think there is about 20 lbs of wax there, give or take. I do have some stearic here, Maybe tomorrow i will attempt a few votives and see how it does. I know i should heat this up to about 175, add fo and color, but what temp do i pour it?

Also, can anyone recommend a good cdn supplier of goods?

Thanks again

Cara

CanWax seems to be prominent up there. They have a good website and great product selection.

Heat the wax & additive to 185, add FO and color and pour at 175. You'll need 2 pours with time to totally cool off in between. Votive pins are highly recommended these days - better results, less hassle. There's a link to instructions (without pins) over on the left to give you the basic idea.

About the stearic - I'm not sure if the same stuff is used for B&B. What you want for the candles is the "triple pressed" stuff that comes as small white flakes. I think there's some sort of powdered stearic that might be used for B&B that doesn't work the same.