Beeswax and/or Stearic Acid

Vio

I've seen some opinions in searches, but figured maybe people have changed their minds on things or started to use different amounts etc, since last time it was discussed.

I have stearic acid and white beeswax here that I received recently. Good for anything in soap? Yes? No?

I know I've seen if using stearic, that 3% is ok. I know it forces trace quicked, but looking for hardening properties really and for me, it seems the way to go right now if I can do it.

Any opinions, advice appreciated. :)

Also, beeswax is another known heater in soap, so be sure and soap cool if using it. I've only used it in one soap and ignored that little tid-bit. (and I may have used too high of a % also) It was the only soaps I've had alien brains in. What a mess!! LOL

It ended up being decent usable soap, but it was butt-ugly so it was a whole batch of personal use soaps...

LOL alien brains! That always cracks me up, that description. :laugh2:

Thank you! Good to know! I saw something on BrambleBerry blog today that said they tried a customer's 8% beeswax recipe, but they didn't say what else was in it. I've seen beeswax in castile recipes today too. In my book here, it says half of the wax isn't sappable. Still trying to find out what the half that isn't sappable does though! LOL

Soaper's Choice says:

Beeswax has emollient, soothing and softening properties and helps the skin retain moisture do it is often used in cosmetic and skincare products as a thickening agent, emulsifier, and humectant.

After processing, beeswax remains a biologically active product retaining anti-bacterial properties. It also contains vitamin A, which is essential for human cell development . Throughout time, people have used it as an antiseptic and for healing wounds. Hippocrates even recommended and used it himself.

I found something that says it's low comediogenicy which is good. Thinking of something, a recipe, to make use of it's properties. Will soap it ice cold with full water if I do it. LOL

Free stearic acid is perfectly fine to use in a soap recipe. The thing is, speeding up trace is really one of the biggest limiting factors when you're doing CP. From what experience I've had with it, 5% strikes me as a pretty large dose. I think of 2-3% as being a more practical amount.

There's no real rule though. It depends on what your other oils, the temps, the water, are and how much you have to get done before the soap can be poured. Of course there's also the consideration of how much would make your soap too hard and how warm you're willing to soap. Stearic will raise the congealing point of your oils, so you may have to increase the temps if you put in enough of it.

Personally, I usually use 0%. The way I look at it, being able to easily tweak the stearic percentage of a recipe is useful, but it's also pretty easy to accomplish the same thing by just fiddling with the percentages of your oils. Typically there should be an oil in your recipe that's relatively high in stearic acid (or palmitic acid, which can contribute similar properties), so if you want a harder recipe you can just increase the amount of that oil.

I've never learned about using beeswax in soap or tried to do it, so I'm clueless about that part. I have all this beeswax lying around too, currently with no purpose in life.

In the situation I'm in right at the moment with husband unemployed for the last 3 weeks, I couldn't buy the palm like I had wanted to, so I used one of my egg hunt gift certs and got some stearic acid, thinking it would help somewhat, till I can order from columbus one day. It's somewhat out of necessity I want to play with it. Can't hurt to try and thank you very much Top for your advice and information!! :bow:

For my normal batch, I'll do 2%, but I want to try 10% in a slim jim tube just to see what it does!!!! LOL

The beeswax has some good properties it looks like from what I'm reading. It partially saps in soaps and what's left is desireable and has good qualities. I'm tossing 20% of that in the slim jim tube too and will post back how the soap came out when I do it later on. :)

Wow that's a lot of beeswax and too much stearic! Beeswax is expensive for soaping oils imo as well.

I would be prepared for a massive acceleration.. and hot process if necessary. I'm interested to see your results, but man, thats a lot of stearic! i've done a 26% stearic batch before and the soap on a stick was instant, but I knew that and was hping for a shave soap.

also you need to consider your other oils. cocoa butter is pretty high in stearic as well so that will also speed things up.

Ya know, lard is cheap and makes a nice hard bar!

Yeah, I know. I just want to try it and it's going to be small. Just a slim jim tube. I use lard but lard soap takes longer to set up and then I can't use that mold till it's set up. It seems to for me anyway. I have to try it. LOL

This would just be a little special one all for me if it works out. Wouldn't plan on using the beeswax normally. Just want to play with it for myself. It sounds like it would make for a good shave soap from all I've read.