hand-milled soap recipe help please

jolambert

i'm to do a lesson on soap making for a business class for our highschool i tried to rebatch my cp recipe and yuck! in researching i've been told that lard soap is the easiest to rebatch but would like some veg oils in it also if possible i have a batch of lard cp going but was wondering if ...

lard 50%

canola 20%

co 15%

palm oil 15%

would be a nice blend for the hand-milled soap instead? i'm running out of time with all the curing and testing i've been doing & was curious if anyone

could help me out in this area thank you jo

OK, you are committed to teaching a class on something you don't know how to do yet? Well that's certainly living on the edge. Next time you might try going at it the other way around.

Search on rebatching here - that's what we call hand-milling. Eugenia is good at it, and others do it too. I personally don't like the resulting soap (aesthetically) so I won't do it.

Can't you just get a nice MP base and go that route if you can't teach CP?

i know how to cp it was 2 months after i agreed to do it that the school said no lye. i've been researching and trying the rebatching i don't like the results either (i was thinking it was just me!) wanting to give rebatching its fair chance

plan B is mp (haven't done that in a long time)

thanks for the help jo

I liked rebatching but really don't know what would work best. I found grinding the soap, adding water and sealing in a container for several days helped. Always heated in a double boiler but a crock pot might work. Added Shae butter and some powered goats milk, maybe Emu. The oils would help cream it out but it still wasn't like CP. But I like the rustic look. I really liked using a crayon for color too. Bought some of the soy crayons and got some of the prettiest colors ever. Not always the color of the crayon but nice. The only thing was it took forever to really get it melted and then boom better hurry and get it in the mold.

Hey jo! I rebatch all the time! I think no matter what the recipe you won't need to add extra oils or ds if the soap is fresh. If its a few weeks old then add 1/4 cup of ds for every two pounds of soap. It may seem like a little but when the soap is curing the soaps will shrink if you add too much. I rebatch in the oven @200 degrees for one hour. My soaps come out like mushed potatoes and easy to work with. Hope that helps and good luck!

OK, you are committed to teaching a class on something you don't know how to do yet? Well that's certainly living on the edge. Next time you might try going at it the other way around.

Search on rebatching here - that's what we call hand-milling. Eugenia is good at it, and others do it too. I personally don't like the resulting soap (aesthetically) so I won't do it.

Can't you just get a nice MP base and go that route if you can't teach CP?

ouch carebear.

I didnt get that impression from her at all. I think she feels confident on teaching CP, yet is looking for a softer recipe in order for it to be easier to rebatch.

jolambert: the recipe you posted above looks nice, give it a try

ouch carebear.

I didnt get that impression from her at all. I think she feels confident on teaching CP, yet is looking for a softer recipe in order for it to be easier to rebatch.

jolambert: the recipe you posted above looks nice, give it a try

you are right - I was harsh. As I read her responses it all made more sense.

Sorry!

Search Google Video for hand milled soap and there's a few video tutorials on there. I saw one not long ago and the woman puts shredded cp soap into zip locks on stove and goes through the process in the video. http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=hand+milled+soap+&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv

I tried that one time and didn't care for it, just took too long. But my soap was not fresh, maybe that was the reason.

Hey jo! I rebatch all the time! I think no matter what the recipe you won't need to add extra oils or ds if the soap is fresh. If its a few weeks old then add 1/4 cup of ds for every two pounds of soap. It may seem like a little but when the soap is curing the soaps will shrink if you add too much. I rebatch in the oven @200 degrees for one hour. My soaps come out like mushed potatoes and easy to work with. Hope that helps and good luck!

What does 'ds' stand for? I can't for the life of me figure that one out.