If i wanted to try making CP

*Dee*

where would you recommend i start ? i have no clue about anything at all with this, i have no clue about lye besides it can burn you bad if it touches skin.. i have no clue how to use a calculator, or what oils to use or where to even get the things i would need..can you even buy lye in stores or does it have to be online?

can anyone point me in the right direction.. is there a beginner tutorial ? i meen very beginner lol i know nothing.. i always said i would never make it cuz i am scared of the lye especially with 3 kids, they wont ever stay out of my kitchen...but i feel that i need to try it at least once .

ahhh ok i read the new cp soapers reference thread on the top of this forum and it scared the crap out of me, and i read it to the hubby and he said no absolutely not, not in this house with 3 kids that run around and dont listen .. soooo i dont think i will be trying this... unless i can make cp soap without lye ?? but i have never heard of that

You can't do cold process or hot process without lye. You can do melt and pour though.

I have two little ones and I make my soap after they're both asleep for over an hour and use child safety gates to lock anyone out of the kitchen. If you think that you can't keep the kids away or can't make them understand the danger of the lye, then don't do it yet.

yeah i already do melt and pour lol, i have wanted to do cp for awhile just scared..

my kids are ages 1, 5, and 8 i have the gate up so you cant get to the kitchen but the older 2 can just go over it, and when i am making MP or candles they dont like to stay out of the kitchen always comming in to see what i am doing no matter how much i tell them when i am in there working not to come in... i could do it during the day while them 2 are at school but my 1 year old wants attention so i couldnt be there watching like i should be...

and now my hubby says lye is not allowed in this house he forbids it especially after i showed him that one link where the little boy dumped the water/lye on himself...

it will have to wait awhile..

If you want to soap you will need your husband to help by managing the kids, and you should only do it when they are asleep (the kids, not the husband) and husband is on patrol or everyone is out of the house. Otherwise forget it.

I'm sure you are able to store lye safely - I assume you store medications out of their reach...

Keep hubby away from you too when you soap (they can be equally as pesky as the kids.) Make he do guard duty. And if he is saying how dangerous it is to have lye in the house, remind him of the clorox bleach, the draino, household cleaning agents and other potentially hazardous things that you probably have in your house right now and tell him that those too are forbidden from now on:pAnd that if he wants his whites white he will have to hand wash them himself.

ahhh ok i read the new cp soapers reference thread on the top of this forum and it scared the crap out of me, and i read it to the hubby and he said no absolutely not, not in this house with 3 kids that run around and dont listen .. soooo i dont think i will be trying this... unless i can make cp soap without lye ?? but i have never heard of that

Please do not be intimidated by that thread. ;)

I posted it at the time we had a bunch of newbie [always welcome] soapers asking a lot of questions. Yes, lye safety is an absolute must, IMO. You can never be too cautious with lye. Without lye, there can be no saponification. However, if you respect the lye for what it is, and take precautions, you are likely to be successful in soaping.

Both Robin and Eugenia have excellent tutorials posted.

Feel free to ask questions, soaping can be a wonderful creative process and it is highly addictive.

http://www.candlesupply.com//how2pumpkincp/how2basiccp.html

that worked really good for me

I need lots of pictures and step by step stuff

I printed it out and followed it as I went

BC even sells a basic CP soap kit now if you need supplies and stuff

and don't worry making it isn't as bad as you think it is going to be and when you are done you will be like that wasn't so bad

Like I said, do it really late at night. I have a 5 year old and an almost 8 year old home with me. They both can go over the gate, but I don't even start soaping until I'm sure they're out and not getting up to tinkle. That's usually around 11 pm when I mix my lye solution. I do it in the sink with cold water around it so it cools fast. This way, the solution is never walked away from. If I have to use the bathroom, I take anything I can and put it in front of the sink, like every kitchen chair and garbage can even, and tinkle with the door open so I can hear if anything even moves. It's a pain in the butt and tiring if I'm done at 3 am but it's the only way I can do it until my youngest is in school in Sept.

That lye safety thread is heartbreaking. It's very scary, but you just have to never ever get lax with the lye. Lye needs your total attention, and needs to be handled with extreme caution. If you're not sure you can do that, then it's best you don't yet. I can tell you when the house is quiet and no kids running around, it's much more relaxing to work with it and less fear because the kids aren't around. That was my biggest fear really. The kids. I even have a hard time with my candles with them. They want to see anything I do up close. Candles I do when daughter is at school and son is watching something on tv. It's not as bad as doing soap, even though I do get nervous with the hot wax on the counter. I just make sure it's pushed back to the wall and I tell my son how dangerously hot it is. I'm more at ease with the candles than the lye.

E's shoebox soap was a great first soap tutorial. I loved it. :)