Another Tart question

Are there special burners for tarts? I've been using essential oil burners (both electric and tea light powered??) and the bloomin' things just won't disappear. They melt a bit but that's all. I've had a couple of tarts on the go for over 16 hours and there's still more than half left. Help! :confused:

I understood it to mean tarts aren't supposed to disappear. You keep them melted until they no longer throw the scent, then let it harden and toss the wax. If they ger hot enough, some wax may burn off, but without a flame using the wax as fuel, where would it go? Think I'm lost now...

Oh, I see. I thought you meant that your tarts weren't melting all the way. If that is the case, then try a different burner or change your tart recipe. However, the wax from the tarts won't go away. The scent will just fade and when you don't smell it anymore, you just take out the tart and put in another one. The wax won't burn up because there is no wick to consume it.

I don't know anything about tarts - do you use wicks with these? Are these made with soy wax or paraffin?

No you don't use wicks, and they can be made with virtually any wax as long as it isn't too soft. I've made them with soy, paraffin and a few high melt point container waxes. I've made them with very soft wax, but had to use muffin liners and made a pretty large mess at the same time.

They are basically small (1/2 ounce to 1 ounce) pieces of wax that you put in a tart warmer, light a tea light underneath and the wax melts and puts off the scent. Tart warmers can be electric also.

DanaE

Either. If I'm making votives and using a votive wax, I'll make tarts with it. Most pillar waxes can also be used for votives, so if I'm making pillars and votives at the same time, I keep some aside to make tarts at the same time.

For the best scent throw, in my opinion, you should mix a votive or pillar wax with some container wax. Half of each is a good mix and it seems to make the tart last longer, scent wise.

DanaE

I understood it to mean tarts aren't supposed to disappear. You keep them melted until they no longer throw the scent, then let it harden and toss the wax.

Well, shows how much I know - I didn't know that they weren't meant to disappear. LOL :shocked2: Thanks for the heads up. It looks like my burner is working fine after all just not much of a scent throw.