Swans coco-par anyone using??

Hi Tootie,

I have a slab but just have not had the time to test it. I may be testing it soon though. If I find the time, I will post my results. I am developing a spa line and that was one that I was going to try, but I am focusing on another type instead. I may still test it just to see what it is like.

~Holly

Hi Tootie,

I've been testing both the Coco-Par and all natural Coco wax from Swan's.

Using the same FO in same % in both, I found the Coco-Par was definitely the better wax of the two. It has great cold and hot throw. The all natural Coco had a weaker cold throw and almost no hot throw.

One thing I found with the Coco-Par is that you need to increase the FO load for a good throw. 6% FO just gets lost in this wax. I ended up using 9% and had a great result. The max FO load for the wax is 10%.

It also seems to take longer for the cold throw to develop in the Coco-Par compared to Soy or ParaSoy cure times. But it does come through really nicely in about 2 weeks.

Both waxes are difficult to single wick. Even in a 2-2.5" diameter candle. They both tunnel and leave a lot of hang. Wicking up causes the wick to smoke. I haven't tried double or triple wicking this wax yet, but I'm thinking that might be worth trying next. The wicking problem was the only thing I didn't like about the Coco-Par.

Both waxes are difficult to single wick. Even in a 2-2.5" diameter candle. They both tunnel and leave a lot of hang. Wicking up causes the wick to smoke. I haven't tried double or triple wicking this wax yet, but I'm thinking that might be worth trying next. The wicking problem was the only thing I didn't like about the Coco-Par.

What wicks did you use in your testing?

Hi Stella,

I've tried ECOs, RRDs, LX and HTPs. They all drown out within the first hour. It appears that something in the wax is clogging the wick. Then when I let the candle rest a day or two and bump up a size, the wicks smoke right away. There doesn't seem to be an in-between sizing that works.

I'm also using an FO I've used for years, and that usually has to be wicked-down compared to most of the other FOs I use. So I know it's something in the wax clogging most of the wicks I've tried.

I was surprised about the RRDs. I've never seen any wax defeat an RRD wick before! It's always been my go-to wick on the really stubborn veggie waxes. I double checked that the RRD wick was upright, so that wasn't the problem.

I still get a great hot throw, though, even when the wick is struggling before dying out. I wonder, if I can figure out the right wicking, how awesome the hot throw must be!

I'm in the process of testing with CDs now, since they work well with most heavy veggie waxes and EOs. If I can master this wax with the CDs, I'll be sure to post.

Hi Stella,

I've tried ECOs, RRDs, LX and HTPs. They all drown out within the first hour. It appears that something in the wax is clogging the wick. Then when I let the candle rest a day or two and bump up a size, the wicks smoke right away. There doesn't seem to be an in-between sizing that works.

I'm also using an FO I've used for years, and that usually has to be wicked-down compared to most of the other FOs I use. So I know it's something in the wax clogging most of the wicks I've tried.

I was surprised about the RRDs. I've never seen any wax defeat an RRD wick before! It's always been my go-to wick on the really stubborn veggie waxes. I double checked that the RRD wick was upright, so that wasn't the problem.

I still get a great hot throw, though, even when the wick is struggling before dying out. I wonder, if I can figure out the right wicking, how awesome the hot throw must be!

I'm in the process of testing with CDs now, since they work well with most heavy veggie waxes and EOs. If I can master this wax with the CDs, I'll be sure to post.

I have not tested the wax yet, but give Hemps a try. They are wicks that I use for hard to wick oils, etc. I wonder what the CSN's would do.....can they be used with other wax? I would think they can be. I find they work great in Palm (Swan's). I got weak flames with the LX's in Palm but not the CSN's. Good luck.

Hi Stella,

BO, try CDNs. They seem to handle veggie waxes in general very well. They are the same as CDs except they are treated to resist the acids found in veggie waxes.

HTH:)

Then when I let the candle rest a day or two and bump up a size, the wicks smoke right away.

i noticed this with their olive oil wax. i was alarmed at first and blew it out right away...but then i just left it burn...it only lasted a few seconds and then went on to burn fine. i was using the same wick that i use in my soy.