Metal & DOS

SatinDucky

Has anyone ever noticed a correlation between DOS and contact with metal?

Keep in mind... I made these soaps around 2 yrs ago. When I went on my "unplanned hiatus" everything was left exactly where it was, minus snatching my Lav Silk and shampoo bars as needed). All the soaps that had been on the rack curing stayed there. Even those that were on cooling/baking racks, I just moved the whole thing onto the shoe rack. It's one of those shiny stainless steel, 3 shelf shoe racks from Wally World. In 2 years, they collected a LOT of dust... so I've been washing them. What a concept... having to wash my soaps :embarasse

Anyway... Now I see these lil round orange dots. Grrrr... NOW I know what DOS looks like...lol. To make a long story short (or not so short)... some of the bars have DOL's! MY name for dreaded orange lines ;) Only some soaps, only some of the rack lines. Before ya ask, nope, it's not rust. The metal on the racks are just as shiny as brand new (well, after I wiped all the dust off...lol)

I've seen pictures here of huge metal racks that people store their soaps on long term, at least I thought I did. I've never seen anyone mention DOL before :undecided

It's been discussed - I don't know if it was here or the Dish - or both. I said metal shelves result in DOS, but then others said they used metal and it was ok. Now I've decided it is my CHROME shelves that are an issue, and that all metals are NOT created equal.

I got sheets of that plastic mesh people do that kind of embroidery on and laid them down over my chrome shelves - and no more problem! as long as the soap doesn't actually touch it...

I considered cheese cloth but it would absorb moisture and scents and possibly leave thread bits on the soap so changed my mind.