Can i post this link?

Has all the lye been used up at trace or is that still happening during the cure? So then what happens when you split a batch into 2 different molds? Do you end up with more lye or oils in one of the molds than the other?

Not at trace, no - only a small amount has been used at trace, the bulk of saponification happens after that while the soap soldifies - if it gels it's typically within 6 or maybe 12 hours that the lye gets used up. If it doesn't gel it can take days. There is some discussion on whether or not further saponification happens during the cure period. Typically even at the beginning of the cure period there is no zap, but still many of us find that the soap "mellows" during the first 2 weeks or so of this time and I personally believe that the chemical reaction continues.

ETA: about splitting the batch - not sure what you mean. As long as the "soap batter" is well mixed you are getting pretty much the same thing in each mold. It's important that the mixture be completely emulsified before pouring or it will separate out, but once you reach that point - and certainly by the time you have achieved trace there should be no problem.

Thanks Carebear for taking the time to explain this.

It just occurred to me after reading the cute sap explanation using the bunnies & wolves that maybe more (or less) bunnies or wolves might end up in one mold than the other. In other words, since it takes a certain amount of oils to react with a certain amount of lye, I was wondering if splitting the batches would affect this process (or not for that matter). Darn, am I making any sense here. I'm a total boob!