Comments from a supplier newsletter

candlebug

I was a little shocked by several comments made in an email newsletter from Connie's Candles.

With the FDA, the National Candle Association and the International Guild of Candle Artisans sending out the following safety alert http://www.igca.net/members/NCA%20lotion%20candle%20alert%200108.pdf on using soy candles for lotion/massage. Connie's Candles has the following paragraph in the newsletter.

Soy wax can be used in many different areas of our home life. Soy candle making is the most popular because the melted wax can also be used as a body moisturizer. Soy wax contains a natural Vitamin E component, which is also beneficial to your skin. There have also been advances in formulations for lotions, creams and body washes that contain soy products.

This is telling her customers that it is ok to ignore the safety hazards of a high fragrance load and using candle dye that is not skin safe on skin and ignore the FDA regulations too.

Just amazes me that a supplier isn't informed on safety issues and whether she will stand behind that statement when the candle maker gets fined or has an insurance claim arise from following this kind of advice.

Using soy in bath and body products isn't the problem, it is using candles that have the fragrance load high enough (6% and up) to scent a room shouldn't be put on the skin (.5% to 1%).

I agree with you totally. Connie might get her butt sued if she doesn't backtrack on HER opinion!

I've seen local chandles make up these so called "lotioin candles and they are NOT a good idea. Soy wax clogs the pores and cause breakout of the skin. Not only that, but at least TWO local chandles were not using body safe scents, let alone color! YIKES!

:undecided Clients of mine want me to make them too and I say NO, it's NOT safe and I'm NOT insured nor foolish enough to make something that can either burn someone or clog their skin pores.:embarasse

Fire

I was at candle gathering a couple of years ago and the husband of one of the suppliers who had a display set-up had a candle buring and was telling people it was made of soy and that you could dip your finger in it and rub on your hands and then would try to ger people to dip a finger in the candle that was burning. I thought DUH. First there is fire and there is no way I'm going to dip my finger in it, second, it has FO in it and I'm for sure not going to use it like hand lotion. Law suit waiting to happen.

"The NCA is also very concerned that consumers may attempt to place their fingers in the wax pool while the flame is still lit."

:undecided ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!

I swear... sometimes I wonder why people can be so "dumb," but then I turn on the TV. Are YOU smarter than a 5th grader? :o

There is a large craft show in my area. A woman there sells soy candles. She rushes at you with a lit candle, grabs your hand (if you aren't quick) and pours the hot wax on you, all the while gushing about how great soy wax is compared to paraffin and how good it is for your skin. (No disrepect to the soy chandlers.) Needless to say, she did not have many customers, especially me! :shocked2:

She'd have been laying on the floor with her candle! :D

Reminds me of the perfume spritzers at the mall.... spritz spritz ATTACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

There is a large craft show in my area. A woman there sells soy candles. She rushes at you with a lit candle, grabs your hand (if you aren't quick) and pours the hot wax on you, all the while gushing about how great soy wax is compared to paraffin and how good it is for your skin. (No disrepect to the soy chandlers.) Needless to say, she did not have many customers, especially me! :shocked2:

I have to guiltily admit that I have this weird fascination with dipping all my fingers on both hands into candle wax to watch it harden up, peel it off and then start dipping again...all while the flame is ablazing :o

And I dare say I am not the only person on earth who does this or has done it in the past rofl!

:tiptoe:

Angi

There is a certain candle company (not supplier) that advertises on this board, that I ordered one of those lotion candles from just to see what it is all about ~ not impressed personally. Took it out of the box, no directions, no warning/safety label, notta!

The warning/alert brings up some really good points, especially the one, that consumers may think "regular" candles work the same way! OUCH!

Maybe I should let me know:confused:

Carrie

I have to guiltily admit that I have this weird fascination with dipping all my fingers on both hands into candle wax to watch it harden up, peel it off and then start dipping again...all while the flame is ablazing :o

And I dare say I am not the only person on earth who does this or has done it in the past rofl!

:tiptoe:

Angi

:embarasse Guilty :embarasse

:embarasse I'm a Self-confessed Melt Pool Dipaholic! :embarasse

But I wouldn't encourage anyone else to do it! I do try to keep my fingers outta the melt pool. If you burn your candles inside hurricanes, it helps make you keep your dippy fingers out... ;)

:embarasse Guilty :embarasse

:embarasse I'm a Self-confessed Melt Pool Dipaholic! :embarasse

But I wouldn't encourage anyone else to do it! I do try to keep my fingers outta the melt pool. If you burn your candles inside hurricanes, it helps make you keep your dippy fingers out... ;)

I'm guilty also :o :tiptoe: