adding coconut oil to soy

I am have been researching this a little but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I could be using the wrong key words too, who knows. Anyway, when adding coconut oil to wax do I take that amount of wax, just like how I add FO or just add it to the batch without subtracting any wax. It seems logical to me I would subract the amount from the wax but I want to make sure.

In theory -- all ingredients would need to be added in increments that bring your total to 100%, so if you don't adjust your math, then you would need to lower another ingredient to make up for the added CO.

In reality -- it's such an insignificant alteration that it won't throw the world on its axis if you just add it to your current equation. Just make sure you keep test notes & keep your formula the same. Personally, my math is only based on the wax & fo, cause the amount of additives I use isn't worth the aggravation of perfect math.

JMO -- Susan.

YA.... what Susan said.

It was such a small amount I just added it!!

I don't recall seeing anything in the other CO thread about how to calculate the addition of CO. Just how much people were adding and if they noticed any good/bad results!!

ETA: I used 1/2 TB PP, but then I got some USA and stayed with that instead!!

If your measurements are stated as a certain amount or percentage per pound of WAX, you add each ingredient that way. You will end up with MORE than a pound of blended wax.

Example: 16 oz of wax to which I add 1 oz. of FO. I do NOT figure the next ingredient on 17 oz. because that contains FO... I calculate the amount to the original 16 oz. of wax. :wink2:

i want in on this too. Is it in a liquid form that you add it because my brother said it comes in liquid or solid like shortening (he's a health nut!) So do you add 1/2 tsp. melted CO or 1/2 tsp. solid CO? or are they the same?

I'm sure there are many brands of CO, but the LouAna that we all get at WalMart is a solid form w/ a meltpoint of 76 degrees. Now, when it's 100+ degrees in Tx, there is no solid form anymore ... it's all liquid! LOL I try to keep 'production' as fast as possible, so I do prep work w/ CO or BW. I melt them down, pour into tiny icecube trays & store them in the freezer. I know each piece weighs .20oz. As far as your 1/2t -- that's a volume measurement & doesn't change. If you scoop out 1/2t of solid CO & leave it out till it liquefies, it will consume the same amount of space as the solid form, so they're the same. There are exceptions to this rule & don't try to compare solid CO w/ liquid BW. Now you're dealing w/ density & that turns the tables!

Susan.

The CO I use is LoAna's and in the solid form. I dig out 1/2 tsp pp and add it in addition to my batch. I don't deducted my additives to my wax batches just keep adding to. Sometimes I end up with extra after pouring but I then use that for smelly samples or tarts in the foil liners.