Greetings

Greetings and Salutations:

Well I see the board has changed substantially since my last visit. I could not even log on with my old information. Such is life.

I come once more, seeking information. I was quite lucky some time ago and managed a purchase at a garage sale whereupon I acquired about 25 metal molds, several plastic molds, lots of dyes and wick material - and 45 pounds of wax. I had to provide the astronomical amount of $40 for the six boxes of materials. (Sometimes luck is in the same universe)

Problem - I do not know what type of wax I acquired. I believe it to be pillar wax based on the molds and other materials in the cardboard boxes, but I am curious if there is a method to determine, with some degree of certainty, that this wax is going to be suitable for pillars.

I would welcome any suggestions for determining the type of wax.

May all enjoy the day and treat the goblins we shall see this eve.

Someone had mentioned a method for finding a "general" melt point for wax. Something about melting it, letting cool just until a film is starting to form, then measure with a thremometer. I don't think that's exact, but a search may turn it up. Maybe the origional poster will see this and chime in. You should also be able to get some idea by pouring it in a mold. Pillar wax should shrink enough for it to slide out, container wax shouldn't. That is what I would do anyway. :grin2: Then test burn it in a bowl. If the whole thing melts, it's not for pillars :P

I would assume that you could determine whether it was a container or pillar wax by it's consistency. If it's very hard, it more than likely a pillar wax as a container wax would be soft...soft enough to cut it with a knife. So now you need to narrow it down to whether it is a blended pillar wax, or a straight paraffin. To find out if it's a straight paraffin, make a candle with 1-1.5 oz of fo to 1lb of wax, no additives, and pour at about 185...if it mottles, it's straight paraffin, if it doesn't, it's probably a pre-blended pillar wax. If it were a veggie, palm or soy wax, it would come in flake form, or if it were beeswax it would more than likely come in a pellet form. Well...that's about all I can come up with...anyone else?

Tucker...This has nothing to do with this topic but...everytime I read your posts, you remind me of a Good 'Ol Boy from down south. Have you lived in Canada all of your life or did you live in the US and then moved there? Just curious is all.