Making candles using paraffin wax

Hi Everyone -- this is a great site. I'm new to candle making and have many many questions. I live in Orange County California and I'm wondering if there are any candle making suppliers in my area? The only place that I've found is in N. Hollywood (General Wax and Candle Co.) which is at least an hour away depending on traffic.

I made a small pillar candle today using pastilles paraffin wax 140 and I wanted it to be mottled so I added Parol 1 tsp. which the book I have said to do. The candle did not come out mottled at all but after the 2nd pour there was a lot of shrinkage and there is a hole up the center on the bottom almost to the middle of the candle. Can you tell me what the cause of this was? Also, why did it not come out mottled?

The first candles I made I used a water bath the last two batches I did not. Is it necessary to use a water bath?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I'm really enjoying all the experimenting.

Judy

The shrinkage is totally normal. You should poke 3 or 4 holes around the wick as the candle sets up to relieve tension in the shrinking wax, because otherwise air can get sucked in around the wick to create hidden pockets. Once the candle cools completely, fill in the shrinkage and your relief holes with 195 degree wax (don't pour higher than before). Let that totally cool, then demold.

You'll need something like 3/4 oz of parol oil added to a pound of wax to get the mottle. Whether you use a water bath is totally your choice depending on the finish you want and whether you feel like doing it, but don't use one when making a mottled candle because it will usually prevent it from mottling.

Have fun!

Hi Trish -- where in Sacramento are you? I'm from Sacramento. I've lived in OC for four years? How do you like Gen Wax? Do you use their products as well as Peak? So far everything I have is from Gen Wax even though it is an hour from me my husband can go by there on his way home. Is there anything you can tell me that I shouldn't use of Gen Wax? I have tons of questions as you can see. Thanks for your response.