Anyone do malls?

slow-burn

Does anyone do the malls during the busy season? I am seriously considering doing this. Trying to finalize some things before we go all out for it! Alot to consider.... Plus, I would have to build more shelving :shocked2: What I have now is only 1 unit, and I would still need that for my home parties. So my creativity is running to try to come up with more for less, but enough for plenty of product, and to fit the 10x10 area!

Seems to be pricey, but from talking to a few of the vendors over the weekend, the sales sound awesome! I guess I am mainly nervous, cuz this is all my hubby's doings! Normally he says no, no, no, and everything turns out great! Now, he is saying yes, yes, yes, and I am ready to run for it, lol!

Just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience in doing this, and if so, any pointers for a first timer?

Well I don't do malls for a couple of reasons. First I'm really small and work alone so I can't really do it. You have to have somebody there all day and I figure If I'm there I'm not making candles or wax bears or filling orders from home parties. At our mall someone already sells soy candles. The girl they had working couldnt have cared less about selling. She saw us but just kept on dusting the display and didn't even approach us as we looked. So not much was being sold. And then you are required by the mall in my area to be open the whole time the mall is open. Those are some long hours especially during the holidays. Not trying to discourage you but there are pros and cons to each way of selling. Who knows your hubby might be right and if he isn't just don't do it next year. Good luck and let usknow how you make out with it.

Guest EMercier

A lady I met at a local craft show that helped me out (she does candles as well), she had two kiosks at the mall and would say how busy she was and how expensive it was, so she shut down. I wanted one, but not willing to pay that much money. She also does the mall craft shows and stated that she makes lots of money. Her display is really nice as well. She's also retired from the military and has that extra time.

This would run for 6 weeks. yes, I would have to be there or have someone there at all the time the mall is open. Hubby, mom, neighbor, sister, and niece are all willing to work, as well as me. I also have a 16 year old son that wants to earn some extra cash. I am going to be paying a small amount under the table, and with figuring booth costs for a 10x10 with my own shelving, and paying someone else to work 12 hours a day (if we didn't go at all) I would have to sell 13 of my 9 oz candles in order to break even. That would cover my booth fee, and my employee. Not the candle, but I think it would be ok, cuz 13 a day of the small ones should not be hard to get.

The lady that runs it, agreed to make me the only candlemaker there...PERIOD (unless of course, it is a store, lol)

Also, I am allowed to close early (on xmas eve) cuz I don't want people to expect a % off like most stores offer after xmas

And if for some reason, someone doesn't show up, then I would not have to open, and she would not penalize me. However, I would lose a days worth of sales. The peeps willing (volunteering) to do this, are all dependable, and close to me, and plus, faithful customers :tongue2: So they know enough about my products, plus they all just want some extra christmas cash!!

Main cost I am going to be out, on top of invetory, will be cash register, cuz I think that would be a necessity. Insurance is covered, so I am good there. I would need to get some more shopping bags, but other than that, I think we have most things taken care of.

Just kinda nervous, cuz it is a large step. So if anyone can share some tips, I would really appreciate it. Thanx to all of you that helped so far, I need all the help that I can get. You all are helping me to make sure that I am thinking of all of my options.

BTW, I would also have to sign a contract, and all things (like being able to close if necessary) and also no other chandlers/ b/b makers being permitted, as long as I am there will all be in the contract. If not.....I won't sign it :tongue2:

If you do decide to do this and need to purchase a cash register, I would reccommend taking a look on ebay or if you live somewhere large (which I dont) try going out of business sales where they are selling everything. You may be able to get some inexpensive shelving as well as a cash register. I purchased my cash register off of ebay from a liquidation company that buys from closing stores and paid $20 for my register, about $15 for shipping and $7 for a new set of register keys. The register is awesome with 400 PLUs and 20 department buttons.

HTH

Pam

scentimentalgifts@hotmail.com