im new

hi my name is ross retallack and im 19 years old, im intrested in making my own candles but dont really know where to begin. what do i need to start making basic candles?

my other intrests are making model planes, and making low budget home movies! im also single if anyone wanted to know.

anyway back to candles, i've seen my uncle make candles in his basement for years, but he never had time to show me how! (i have basic equipment from him) so any tips for a new comer would be very greatfull. i quite like the idea of using my artistic tallents in designing colourful candles, but im probably getting ahead of myself before i have even got started. also if there are any candle meetings in the next month i would love to attend so i could get some ideas!

thanks, any info would be great!! hope 2 hear from u soon

Ross Edward Retallack

Welcome Ross! If you take a few hours (days) and read through this forum, you will find yourself armed with the information you need to get you started! It's nice to know this place is open 24/7 and there is usually someone around when you find yourself stuck or have questions! When you say you have the basic equipment, what exactly do you have?

I have 10 pounds of candle wax, candle molds, waxes, additives, dyes, fragrances, and wicks I don’t know what to do with them but I will have a look around the forum and experiment. Is there anything else I might need, I also have special cutting knives is what are they for?

I don’t really know do u have any ideas? What types are there? I would like to make a candle for my mothers birthday which is in 2 weeks time, she has just got a dog and it smells a little:tongue2: , so I thought I making one to cover the smell. She really likes the smell of oranges? And ideas?

Well if you have wax already I would try to determine if it is container wax or pillar wax. I would assume pillar wax if there are molds too. It is pretty important to figure out what kind of wax you have. If it is container wax and you put it in a mold, you will have a devil of a time trying to get it out (that is if you can get it out without having to take the heat gun to it and melt it out(don't ask how I know:grin2: ))Do you have a thermometer and some way to melt the wax? I say jump in. head first. Start melting. What kind of fragrances do you have? The general rule for FO (frangrance oil) is 1oz. per pound of wax(depending on the type of wax, some can hold more some less) Do you have a scale to weigh wax and FO? Do you know what kind of wick you have. Certain size wicks are used with certain size molds. Do you know the diameter of the mold? That will help you determine a wick size or at least close to wick size. umm what else??? What kind of dye do you have? Liquid, chips, blocks, buttons? Liquid is mostly measured by the drop ( a little goes a long way) Most of us here use UV inhibitor to prevent and color changing that may occur from uv light exposure.

Wow you have some reading to do. This board is the best place to be when looking for candle making info. READ!

DO NOT USE OJ!!!

It would be like mixing oil and water. they don't mix.

Wax is oil based and OJ is water based. The juice will mostly be pushed out of the wax as it cools. Then your mold can rust. You could have pockets of liquid in your candle. It would be unsafe!!!

You should only use FO or EO that is candle safe

I think its pillar wax, well I hope so I don’t fancy get a heat gun as well, that seems expensive, how much are they? Yes I have a thermometer I was going to melt the wax in one of my mums pans on an oven is that ok? I was going to use some of my mum scales to measure, but do I need something more technical. I have 2 small wicks and 3 medium (Well that’s what it says on the packet). I have flat braid wicks (is that right)?

Howdy and welcome to the board. :)

It's very important to find out what kind of wax you have, at least in general. If it's pillar wax and you put it in a container, it's not so bad. If it's container wax and you make a pillar, it'll melt everywhere! Container wax is softer and melts at a lower temp than pillar wax. With having molds and flat ply wicking, it's a pretty good chance you have pillar wax.

They're right, you'll find most all basic information you need right here. There's basic instructions and ideas for special techniques to the left. The links for newbies, help sections have a lot of info, even just reading through previous posts, no matter the subject title will help very much. Take a couple days and do some reading, then start asking questions. Gettin some of that basic information under you belt will help you learn what you need to ask ;)

...and PLEASE don't heat your wax in a pan on your mom's stove using direct heat. You need to use a double boiler if you are going to do that. If it's heated in a pan without the buffer of the water in a double boiler, the wax is likely to get too hot and cause a fire. Please read the instructions on the board carefully so you don't burn down your house.

You can purchase a heat gun at any hardware store or Wal-mart for about $20. I have the kind that is used to strip paint. Mine gets up to 1050 degrees, becareful with it. Do not use it as your main source of melting wax. Use it for finishing and as a tool for other things. Fern is correct about using the double broiler method for melting.

check this out

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698

Welcome Ross! We need more guys on this site! Best thing is what most everyone else has mentioned: read through lots of posts, find out what type of candle you want to make, and find out what kind of wax you have, and if it's suitable for the candle type you want to make. If you have trouble finding something, just ask and we can point you in the right direction! Good luck! :grin2:

Welcome Ross. It sounds like you have pillar wax. I would read around the board a bit...look in the gallery also. People have posted some amazing candles. It's enough to inspire anyone.

Please make sure you are safe when you do this. Do not put any fragrance other than those made for candles. Do not melt wax directly over an open flame or in the oven...you need a double boiler. We wouldn't want you getting hurt trying to make candles.