ISO instructions on how to make soap petals

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I know I saw this before, but I'm not sure where. Does anyone have any type of instructions on making soap petals?? Is there a certain base I should use? Also, can I use FO with these? Thank you in advance.

you can use any M&P base that suits your prefrence. you can scent as well. As for instructions, melt your soap base, dip the petals and lay to dry, maybe on a cookie sheet. it is best to dip while the soap is hot, once it cools it starts to leave bubbles and clumps. you may also have to reheat your soap base several times before completely finishing a petals HTH

1/2# MP soap clear

silk petals

FO (1 1/2tsp)

cosmetic grade glitter(optional)

melt soap in pyrex cup in microwave ..do not boil..stirring every 15 seconds until melted..add FO and glitter..dip petal with tweezers and lay on waxed paper on a cookie sheet to dry..you can throw them in the freezer for like 5 minutes if you are impatient like me :rolleyes: ..when dry package right away so they don't sweat..I got 148 petals out of 1/2 pound of soap..but I really coated the petals..I used a few and was able to wash my hands with the same petal 3x's. ..not recommened..they are supposed to be for single use. :P and yes you might have to reheat the soap a bit..just don't let it boil..and if you see lots of bubbles you can spritz the petal with alcohol.

I love making these..you can get get some cute ones already boxed with ribbon from FIB..and just put them back in the box and add your label or hang tag after they are done...I think they have pink, red and white.

These sold well last fall when I made them :) The family loved them as gifts!

The only problem, is if they get hot after they've been completely dried and packaged. They tend to melt slightly and stick together :)

I've had this problem, is there ANYWAY to solve this? (the_amber_woods how did you package yours that this happened? I was thinking of trying the clear votive boxes if the co-op goes through, as right now I use cello bags and mine stuck and got all slimey at one point. But I was told that's because its a M&P base.)

Also Pamper me when do you spray w/ alcohol - does it have to be alittle wet or can you do it after say 10 minutes if you see bubbles? What are the bubbles caused from? I had ALOT when I did it one time and ended up redipping.

TIA for any help given. This fall I'm planning on doing Fall leaves in a fall FO (thought it was a GREAT idea when I read it somewhere) :)

Well for starters. You must let the dry COMPLETELY before packaging! Big plus if you have a dehydrator in the room.

I packaged mine inside those clear gift boxes with handles. However the soap rubbed up against the sides and left smears. So I started to wrap them up in tissue first and then placed them inside the boxes.

Melt n Pour base is designed to do just that, MELT! LOL the only way to prevent this is to keep them in a cool enviornment. I added a little note to my packaging that stated they should be stored in a cool place.

Also Pamper me when do you spray w/ alcohol - does it have to be alittle wet or can you do it after say 10 minutes if you see bubbles? What are the bubbles caused from? I had ALOT when I did it one time and ended up redipping.

yep as soon as you dip and set them to dry...it will break down the bubbles and give them a smooth finish..just a small spritz though..don't want to wet them down with the alcohol

Guest EMercier

Thanks for the instructions. Now I know to use tissue first to package. I too was thinking of the small clear gift boxes with the handles to package them, but then again, I thought of using a small bowl and shrink wrapping so that once they get it, they just have to tear the wrapping off and it's alreayd in the bowl and they can put it anywhere. If that makes sense.

Guest EMercier

Thanks. I looked into that. That was the one I saw before. I'm going to try these myself and see how it works for me.

I actually got a BIG bowl of these from my secret buddy (Thanks Buddy!! :D), she used that round kind of fluted edged glass container from walmart-hard to explain but I've seen some people here make candles in them-almost looks like a souffle bowl.

Anywho, they are AWESOME-love 'em, got them with plastic wrap over the top, unwrapped them, put 'em by the sink, and use them everyday.

I have to say my kids love them too, it's a novelty to them, so they're actually washing their hands more! YEAH!! :D

I just wish I knew what they were scented, smells like rose, but very light and kind of woodsy too. ???

They are multi colored also, never seen sooo many colors! Blue, green, burgandy, pink, red, etc.