Beginer Blends

Draco

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but I am new to candle making and I am wondering where everyone gets there blends? I live in eastern PA, and the local craft stores have wax blocks, but not blends for votives.

I do not have the kitchen space for making my own blends, and the prices I have seen online for shipping would be a bit much for me right now.

Any suggestions?

Nope, you're in exactly the right place. Welcome :)

Look at the wax the craft store had and see if it says pillars or containers. Actually either one should work for votives since even the container wax they usually have isn't that soft. Votives don't need special wax, it just needs to be hard enough to get them out of the mold. I use my pillar wax. I would try the craft store wax without any additives first and add FO as recommended on the label.

The wax our Hobby Lobby has here id already blended I suspect since the tops wrinkle a lot when I added vybar to it(brainy look usually means too much vybar in the wax).You could pick some up and try it. It doesn't really take any more space for mixing your own. You could order some Universal Additive (UA) or Vybar and add it yourself if needed. The additives often come in 1 pound bags, then you just add a teaspoon or tablespoon or the recommended amount to your melted wax. That's all pre-blended wax is, it just has the additives already in it. There are more complicated formulations, but they don't take up much space to mix either, just brain work and testing ;)

Some advice.... DON'T use fragrance oil or wicks from the craft store if you want to make a good candle. Their FOs (fragrance oils) don't hardly put out any scent and the wicks only come in one type and just S, M or L sizes. Order wicking made for votives such as 36z or LX 10 or 12 (I use LX 12 for pillar wax) or another type in an equivalent size.

The more you read here, the more you'll learn and understand. The stickies at the top and CandleTech links on the left have a LOT of helpful info. Also reading through old threads will have all kinds of info in them. The "search" function up there on top is (usually...lol) your friend even though it doesn't help sometimes ;)

Good Luck and have fun :)

Thank you for all the advice everyone. And you are correct fredron, i just found Candle and Supplies and drove out there yesterday as I am not far from Quakertown.

I have learned a valuable lesson, that I can spend a lot of money in one shot without much thought in that store. I will have to remember to go in with a buget next time, LOL:D

I have learned a valuable lesson, that I can spend a lot of money in one shot without much thought in that store. I will have to remember to go in with a buget next time, LOL:D

LOL It is easy isnt it? Bring your list and cash in the amount you want to spend, leave all credit cards at home....lol