What is DOS?

Delia

The link below that describes DOS and causes mentions storing soap in ziplock bags then in plastic containers. I store my soap in plastic containers and last summer was the first time I had a few bars with DOS. I had shrink wrapped some bars for a craft show. The ends were exposed so the left over bars that I didn't sell I put back in my plastic containers without removing the shrink wrap. It was an unusually hot summer and more humid than we are used to in Denver. I noticed a few bars started to sweat and then they developed DOS. So, I unwrapped all the left over bars and they were fine. I thought maybe the extended time of the shrink wrap in a plastic container in high heat and hummidity caused the problem. I was also thinking maybe I need to change from plastic containers to breathable containers like cardboard boxes.

I dobn't think anyone really knows why DOS occurs. But it's a totall bummer that it does! There are lots of theorys out there, from type of oils, heat, humidity, fragrance oils, etc. If anyone ever difinitively figures it out, please do let me know.