Pine Tar soap

Meridith

So I am in the process of making, for the first time, a pine tar soap and I had to say that this is some nasty smelling stuff!! When my son was a teenager his room smelled better than this stuff.

All I can say is that it had better make a nice bar of soap. I don't know what I am doing, but it is not like that has ever stopped me. I am just going for it and hoping for the best. LOL

I did read that it moves fast so I am soaping with full water and making sure my oils and lye are very cool. Does the odor of the pine tar overtake any fragrances that might be added to it? I was planning on not scenting for fear it would just be a waste.

Does the odor of the pine tar overtake any fragrances that might be added to it? I was planning on not scenting for fear it would just be a waste.

I make mine with an EO blend from the Rainbow Meadows formulator. It smells quite nice!

I added it to my oils and butters at 15%. It kind of reminds of what motor oil looks like or better yet Soy Sauce. lol. And it does not smell as bad as it did when I first opened the can. Things are looking up. I'm going to scent it with Tony's Sweetgrass.

You'll have to let us know what you think of the smell. I looked up what I use in mine, it's the STARGLOW BLEND at Rainbow Meadows.

ESSENTIAL OIL PARTS

Black Pepper 1

Frankincense 2

Ginger 1

Petitgrain 1

Well it stinks to high heaven. lol And the soap is soft as can be but this was not my normal recipe. In fact, it was a recipe that put together for this batch. And the soap is so dark it is almost a black color.

It is a sticky material that comes from pine wood. It is said to help relieve skin conditions such as acne, Psoriasis, Dandruff, Eczema and other skin irritations. It is also used as some kind of antibiotic to treat horses' hooves. It smells kind of "mediciney", "antisepticy" to me. It definitely is not a pleasant scent like I am use to soaping. I will get soon get some pictrues of it unmolded and cut. It is interesting that's for sure.

I made mine several months ago. I ended up rebatching it because it was so ugly. The only scent I added was some tea tree oil. It stunk to high heaven, was nearly black and took quite a while to cure to a hard bar. It has mellowed nicely though. I took a bar with me to the shower this morning, and I really do like it.

I made mine several months ago. I ended up rebatching it because it was so ugly. The only scent I added was some tea tree oil. It stunk to high heaven, was nearly black and took quite a while to cure to a hard bar. It has mellowed nicely though. I took a bar with me to the shower this morning, and I really do like it.

That is good to know. Thanks. :)

I made my first batch last week and it looked just like fudge, but sure didn't smell like it LOL

I used it at 20% - the lady that I bought the pine tar from also sent me a bar she made in October, I really liked the way it smelled (at 4 months old).

I can walk past the shelf where it is curing and don't smell it now, so it is mellowing.