Look At This Hole - Is This Right?

This is Feather Palm wax from CandleScience, the pillar is 3 x 3-1/2 and I'm using CSN-11 wick. The first burn was 3 hours...then blew out and burned again later for 2-1/2 hours. The 'hole' is about 3/4" deep (as showing in the photos). Since this is my first Palm Wax pillar, I'm not sure if it's suppose to leave a thick shell like this. Can someone please advise? Should I wick up?

Thanks much!

post-4322-1394584430_thumb.jpg

post-4322-139458443003_thumb.jpg

I've played a bit with the same size feather palm pillars and have yet to be successful with them, but I've never used CSN wicks (although I may try when time permits!). That being said, yours look like mine did with CD12s and 14s... the closest I came to wicking them so far was a CD16 (I was wicking to leave a shell, too). It was almost perfect until it reached the bottom 3rd, then one side became too thin and caved in. I even tried a 50z (or whatever the zinc wicks are, 50 something)... didn't work...

From what I recall, Stella uses a CDN14 and has had success. I've thought of trying them, as well... it's just a pain trying so many different wicks, so I put them away for a few months.

That being said, I'd try to burn a few more times before giving up, then if it still isn't burning good (looks like it's tunneling from what I see), I'd wick up.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

I haven't successfully got the burn right for palm wax either, but I have heard several people say they had luck with the lx wicks. I know a lot that use the rd series, but I tried them and they blew out on me. Never tried anything below a 37 though.

problems here also not only with the MP/hole but the height of the flames oops maybe the height of the flames problem was with the container one, either way lol I have having problems with both so I gave up for awhile, love how yours look though color and all

That actually looks pretty good to me! I start mine out with about 1/2inch shell. Then most will consume farther down.

If you use the CSN wicks the 3" pillars are really fairly easy to wick! You just need to decide how much of a shell you want. I would make 2 more and use a CSN 12 and 14 and see which you like best.

I agree with jakealex - the burn looks pretty par for a 3" pillar. I generally use CDN 14s on them and end up with a 1/4"-3/8" shell. Be sure to keep the wick centered so the melt pool will be centered; otherwise it will blow out on the thin side. The height of the flame might be a little low at this point, but as the candle burns on into the pillar, a big ol' flame isn't desirable. HTH :)

Thanks for the helpful responses. I bumped the wick to a CSN-12. I like the look of the beautiful glow through the shell but I'm not sure if the shell should be even thinner than it is (about 1/4" now). I'll make a 2nd pillar and try a 14 wick to see which one works best.

Along with it's beauty, I really like the feel of this wax!

Thanks again for the great help!