Mushrooming

Hello everyone! I was just wondering what your opinions are on mushrooming. Do you think your customers really care whether or not the wick gets the mushroom on it? I am very happy with my jars now, great scent throw, even burning, no soot on the jars, however.......the mushrooms!!! No matter what wick i use, it mushrooms. I tried 10% FO and now 6.5% Fo and still...mushrooms. So, do customers seem to think its a big deal? Or do they care most about how it burns evenly and smells great? I have taken too much time off of making candles before I started again with soy. So when I did paraffin, I never remember complaints on the wicks mushrooming. But i know they did do it. So what do you all think.

Thanks!

Mushrooming of zinc wicks are like wet spots to me,,,Just embrace them,,,I have never had any customer complain about it as I always remind them to keep their wicks trimmed or the wick will mushroom.

Sounds like you have a good recipe for your candle so the mushrooming shoudnt be that big of a deal,,,,,even the store bought ones mushroom.HTH:D

Mushrooms are a way of life for my candles. I know some people just can not stand them..like the wetspots Breanna mentioned...I embrace both too~ . Maybe if my style was elegant and high end rather than handpoured country I'd be more concerned LOL, isn't that awful to say? And I really do look at those mushrooms as a reminder to trim that wick..and I tell everyone I sell them to the same thing. Works for me!

Mushroom wicks drive me nuts and I refuse to conform. I have thoughts of one exploding when the flame reaches over 4 inches high due to marathon burning. (Okay, an exaggeration.) And as for the wetspots... I have perfect jars/tumblers for about the first two to three days, then bam! Wetspots. I've decided that it must be gremlins.

Slightly off topic, this reminds me of a candle I bought out of curiousity at work a few weeks ago because it smelled great. It was made by Hanna's Candles (I had to go to the stockroom to find out.) It mushroomed like crazy and the wick started floating about halfway down. And the sooting... geeze, the jar was black in less than 3 hours. I went to work the day after I tried to burn it and took a few lids off of serveral different ones and discovered cracks (craters) across the entire width of the candle, wicks that were sitting crooked and were right next to the glass. I made a call to the purchasing department to try to get these things pulled off the shelves before someone gets killed. Thing is, people are running each other over to buy them. I ended up melting mine down and putting it in a shallow jar for the warmer.

Well the mushrooming on my candle is no where near going to make the candle burst into flames lol its just a small mushroom, nothing huge or outrageous. Its just that for people who dont trim wicks, they will normally have a mushroom there if they let it burn for hours on end. If they trim before each burn it shouldnt be bad. But it doesnt smoke at all...no wicks floating no sooting. So In my opinion i dont think a little mushroom is too bad, i just hope customers dont mind it. The only wicks I can get to burn with no mushrooms at all is the lx 14s in my votives. But lx's in my jars mushroom worse than the cd's. So, i was just wondering if customers would have a big complain with a small mushroom on the wick after burning it for hours. Other than that, no other problems.

I still have the mindset concerning this that I had before I ever made a candle, and was merely an addicted consumer. I didn't care about it then and I don't care about it now. I didn't even mind a little black soot. I just wiped around the top of the jar and went on to enjoy the candle. Ignorance is Bliss!

I WAS picky about: 1. wicks that drowned out 2. wax left on the sides 3.weak scented

I think that most consumers have no opinion about mushrooming, and probably it is a non-issue.

When it comes to all the variables we focus on to try and make the perfect candle, it is virtually impossible to do anyway! With all the money I spend on high end candles I have realized ( now that I know about all this ) that even the Diptyque and many other great candles have issues we talk about.

If I had to chose, give me a "hot" candle any day!

Michael

The mushrooms can be a big problem in tealights. They are pure carbon and are porus. They can act as wicks when they fall into the wax pool. This is usually no problem in pillars, but in metal cupped tealights, they can catch fire at the end of the burn. I have had a few do this. The entire wax pool was burning. I lost a glass base when this happened. This is my latest mushroom.

post-246-139458384093_thumb.jpg