Made soap for the first time... yay! :D

I found this recipe on Soapnuts.com and had to try it. They also have a coffee one as well- that's for tomorrow or maybe Monday. :P

Handmade Honey Soap

Honey soap is a beautiful soap with a wonderful sweet smell. It comes out a great deep brown color, and feels fabulous on your skin. Here's a tip for you, whenever you are

measuring honey or molasses or any other viscous liquid along those lines, if you spray the measuring cup or spoon with a PAM type spray, the honey will pour

out more completely, and cleanup will be much easier.

12 oz veg shortening

4 oz coconut oil

1 oz beeswax

1 cup distilled water

2 oz lye

1/8 cup (1 fluid ounce) honey

Mix lye and water, allow to cool. Melt vegetable shortening. Over a double boiler, melt wax and coconut oil together, and keep warm. When shortening is 120* and lye

is 100*, pour lye mixture into shortening and stir until tracing occurs. Pour wax and oil mixture into soap mixture stirring constantly ( the mixture will get VERY thick with the

addition of the beeswax mix) When the beeswax mixture is completely blended, stir in the honey and pour into molds. Unmold after 24-48 hours. Allow to age for 3 weeks.

I doubled this recipe so it would fill my shoebox.

I substituted half of the veg shortening for 1.5 oz of mango butter & a blend of olive/soybean oil (didn't have enough shortening). I added .5 oz of Blackberry Sage from SOS.

I thought for a while that it would NEVER trace- I was using a wire whisk... You shoulda seen the smile on my face when it happened! :yay:

I used RED RED color dye block shavings... only thing I wish I'd done is melt the block in some of the oil first because it didn't melt completely. It came out a nice pink, though. I followed Eugenia's swirl method. Hope it comes out marbled at least! :D

Here are pics...

S2400690.jpg

S2400689.jpg

All wrapped up... I used old bath rugs for this.

s2400688.jpg

Violet,

You did run the recipe through a lye calculator with the substitutions, right?

You can use candle color blocks for personal use and yes, melt the wax in some oil first. I started out that way. If this is something you want to do more of, invest in some CP safe dyes.

Welcome to the awesome world of soapmaking!

e

Violet,

You did run the recipe through a lye calculator with the substitutions, right?

You can use candle color blocks for personal use and yes, melt the wax in some oil first. I started out that way. If this is something you want to do more of, invest in some CP safe dyes.

Welcome to the awesome world of soapmaking!

e

I did run it through- it was hard for me to convert ounces to percentages, though- I may have undercut the lye a bit. Any tips on how to convert these? I'm bad at math.

If I decide to sell, I'll def. get some CP safe dyes. :)

Thanks for posting your tutorial. It inspired me!

OMG how funny is that?? LOL We both made our first soaps on the same day!!! :)

Congrats Violet!!! The color looks beautiful!!!! Very pretty!!! I can't wait to see it cut!!!!! :):yay: :highfive:

I saw you doin it and decided to copy you ;)... lol. All I needed was the lye and a bit of inspiration! Thanks Vio! Hehe.

Way to go for both of you! :yay: I made my tutorial because I wanted to ensure that you can make soap without investing a whole lot of cash up front. If this is something that you want to stick with, you can spend a whole bunch on molds, oils, butters, dyes... The list goes on and on.

e

Awww well I'm honored then!!! Wasn't it fun??? I was scared, but it really was a lot of fun. :)

Kind of like making mud pies when you're little kind of fun. LOL Watching the stuff thicken then playing with the stick and swirling!!! :):yay:

I did run it through- it was hard for me to convert ounces to percentages, though- I may have undercut the lye a bit. Any tips on how to convert these? I'm bad at math.

It's cake.

Your recipe is:

12 oz veg shortening

4 oz coconut oil

1 oz beeswax

The total is 17 ounces of oils.

12/17=70.6%

4/17=23.5%

1/17=5.9%

So... you round them

This gives you

71% shortening

23 % coconut

6% beeswax

for a total of 100%

Or, if you want to cheat on the oz to % thing, put your recipe into the lye calc at MMS (it is in ounces), it will give you the percentages and then you plug those numbers into the soapcalc lye calculator. It takes longer but if you forget how to convert to percentages, this will do it for you.

I ran it through again after figuring the percentages. It appears I've undercut the lye by .91 oz. Will this affect it that much?

Thanks!

Violet

It's just going to give you a highly superfatted bar (about 18%)

The hardness doesn't look bad at all and since it's a small batch, you'll probably use it up before you would have any DOS problems.

Enjoy! There's no looking back now, you'll be hooked!