lye ?

diamondk

I have search and even went back to the archives and couldn't find my answer. I have read that you need to keep a lid on your container after mixing the lye with water. Is this true? How does everyone do it since I am thinking about trying this and don't want to screw things up. After you mix you lye and water outside do you leave it there or do you bring it inside till it get ready? I know alot of questions here but need to know since I am by myself and need all the safety becautions out there. TIA

You do not need to keep the lye mixture covered.

If you have pets or small children~ you can. Its not a necessity. You do not have to mix your lye outside. Its personal preference. Make sure you label your lye mixing container so it doesn't get used for something else down the road. I have read in other forums about people coming home and finding their kids or husband using it for food. Not a good thing!

You can mix your lye right under an exhaust fan from your stove, or close to a window if you prefer. Keep in mind that you DO NOT ADD WATER TO LYE that has already been measured in the container. Add the LYE to the water. Add it slowly and stir carefully. Make sure you use protective goggles and gloves. The mixture will get hot. Another safe place to do this would be in a clean, dry kitchen sink. Also~ when you measure the lye, wipe the container you are putting it in to measure with a dryer sheet to make sure the lye stays in the cup. If you respect the lye~ you won't have any issues.

Here is a tutorial on Cold Process soapmaking:

http://www.the-whisk.us/forum/tutorial.cp.php

Thanks for your reply. I have goggles and gloves and my container. I would feel safer to do it outside in the early morning before it gets too hot here since we are having 100 degree temperatures but I want to be able to bring it inside before it gets to hot outside.

LOL, you just reminded me of my first encounter with lye and soapmaking.

The very first time I made soap, I was extremely cautious, probably went a bit overboard. It was the middle of summer, I put on a long sleeved flannel shirt, long pants, socks, shoes, goggles, gloves up to my elbows. I measured out the lye, put it in the pitcher, and then went outside, far from the house and added my water, being sure to keep a far distance from the pitcher as i stirred. OMG, what a freak I was about it! LOL

Now, i just mix it right in my kitchen, shorts, tank, barefooted, only i still do always make sure i have on my goggles when mixing it. ;)

edited to add: Disclaimier: This is in no way an endorsement of mixing up the lye bareskinned. :P

LOL, you just reminded me of my first encounter with lye and soapmaking.

The very first time I made soap, I was extremely cautious, probably went a bit overboard. It was the middle of summer, I put on a long sleeved flannel shirt, long pants, socks, shoes, goggles, gloves up to my elbows. I measured out the lye, put it in the pitcher, and then went outside, far from the house and added my water, being sure to keep a far distance from the pitcher as i stirred. :P

:D I loved reading this! My first lye mixing adventure was very similar!

I was so afraid of the lye mixing process the first time I did it - I had on long pants, long sleeved shirt, shoes, goggles & gloves. I measured everything out in my kitchen and then took each individual ingredient out on my back deck for mixing. Set the water pitcher in the middle of the patio table, quickly poured the lye into the water and then ran! I ran back into the house and watched the pitcher from the backdoor window :D Not sure what exactly I expected the lye & water to do - but I didn't want to be anywhere close when it did it! After I figured out it wasn't going to jump out of the pitcher and do anything nasty - I went back outside and mixed it all up. That was several years ago. Nowadays I just mix it all in my kitchen on the counter. I still wear the gloves & goggles though. I never make soap without my goggles - after getting little splatters of the soap mix on my goggles more than once - no matter how careful I am - that convinced me that my goggles are a must.

If you mix it outside, just make certain that it's in a place where kids & pets can't get to it :) and as Mystical Angel said "if you respect the lye you won't have any issues"

Have fun! There's nothing like unmolding that first batch of soap!

Lisa