What is your selling point...

erinmfritz

I was thinking about the variety of different products and wealth of information on this site while I was putting on my mineral makeup, of course wondering if it has bismuth oxide, and thought about everyone's methods to promote their hand made products against the "big boys". Are we educating the public on how bad the commercial products are or how much better ours are?

So, What is your key selling point or angle? Whether it be your soap, your candles, melts, bath bombs, or makeup? (even with the huge variety of products we create, we all have hand made pride in common) Might be interesting to see what everyone's angle is......

Mine is quality control- it's locally hand made by someone who cares and will guarantee the product. They can contact me anytime with any concerns at all and I will make it good.

I'm not into the scare tactics and gloom and doom. If they like it, they'll buy it. If they really like it, they'll buy more and tell friends.

-Kristi

"Educating" the public on how bad commercial products are will backfire on you. When you raise a red flag about someone else's products it usually creates questions in someone's head about why you're bashing the other product instead of touting the benefit of yours.

The commercial manufacturers can produce their products in sterile environments, scientifically test every batch, have degreed chemists working on product development, can directly import materials for freshness, or have particular compounds manufactured and patented exclusively for them.

The stuff I make I don't claim will save the world, stop global warming, cure acne, excema or cancer. It is nothing more than a little luxury for yourself.

My candles sell themselves. My setup is very simple. The one lid of each scent is removed and the candle placed up front. I also have theree candles burning at different levels of the jar to show how clean the jar is as the candle is burning and to prove the scent is still strong even on the last 1/4 of the jar. I'll tell people they are 100% soy wax and the price. I don't say much else because the demo says it all. If they have question, I answer them but really, the display says it all.

I just stand by to wrap and bag candles and take money.

I'm sure this will change once I sell soap next year but for now it easy on me!

Fire

My selling point is to actually get my product into the potential buyers hands.

At shows, I have a basket full of try me Melts. 9 times out of 10 they come back because they smell so darn good and they want to try them.

At the stores I have my flyers at, I attach a little sample to the flyer.

I don't bad mouth the big companies, because if it wasn't for them I wouldn't of started making candles. But I do like to hear that my stuff is better than theirs.

Mindy