Can you recommend another soy/veg blend?

I'm about tested out on the Calsoy CB3. I love everything about this wax except I cannot get the wax to stop separating, cracking and raising up around the wicks. It's very ugly. I've tried bw and it makes the tops smooth and I'm doing ok with the frosting. It's just this one darn thing :tongue2: I mix the ingredients at 180 - 190 and cool to 125 or 130 before pouring. I keep the shop at about 80 degrees when pouring and setting also.

I also loved that Calwax is 2 hours from me and the scent throw is great! So is there another blend that is close to this that performs better?

Thanks!

Hi Vicki,

Isn't it maddening!? Why can't we have it ALL in one wax?! :D I love the CB-3 for scent throw and the way it makes the scents smell. But there always seems to be something! :undecided My main problem is the slight dip I get in my jars which causes that hairline circular crack. The top texture is very smooth but I can't leave the dip and crack, so I have to poke relief holes to make sure there are no air pockets and then zap it with the gun. The tops end up not being as smooth but are not ugly. Frosting is not bad with all scents and colors but with some I get WAY more than I like and more in the cold weather if I make them at night. I am sticking with this wax unless I find something that has as good of a scent throw without curing and has less frosting and does not crack.

Have you tried the Calwax CB-2 (soy/par)? I tried it and boy is it a pretty blend and easy to use. However, to me the cold throw and hot throw is not as good. So, that is not a go. Maybe it needs curing time but I don't like to deal with that.

Have you tried the CB-30 (par/soy blend)? It is a pretty wax and easy to use. I had a little trouble wicking it, and since I double wick (have to for the large corners) it burned too fast in my jars. It had a great scent throw (as I recall) and is a very pretty blend. No curing time for that one either. Calwax has great scent throwing wax. :)

I heard that Taylored Concepts has a great soy/par blend, but it is not close to this side as the Calwax products. Also, I had a 3 lb. test bag of the KY-125. I made a test candle to test it up against the Calsoy CB-3. I will say that there was NO frost on sides even after I burned it once -- beautiful. I did not have the dipping and cracking either. The tops are not as smooth -- a little blotchy and had some frost on top - but that does not bother me. That is not as noticable to me as the sides. The scent throw seemed as good with the Blueberry Muffin but I cannot completely compare it to the CB-3 throw until I test more FO, because I think this particular Blueberry Muffin would throw well in any wax.

I have a few other soys and soy/pars that I want to try. If I could find a very CLEAN buring soy/par blend or paraffin blend that throws as good as the CB-3, I would use that for my main line in my current jars and then offer the CB-3 in a separate soy line in special jars and may even go colorless. I would offer less scents in the soy -- a special line.

Let me know if you come across anything that works great! For now I am sticking with the CB-3. I am kinda partial to it even with it's quirks. :D

~Holly

I'm wondering if it's not a wick issue?? :undecided

I'm using the Premier 700s right now and I love the way they work but maybe the wax they use to coat them cools too quickly and the wax gets stuck to the sides somehow??

I'm testing the Fil Tec Ultra Core samples I have now.

What wick do you use?

Thanks!

huh, very very werid. I have never had these problems with my CB3. I usually just heat to about 150-160, just right after the wax completely melts, I turn off the flame. Then i stir in FO and color and let cool to 120-130 and pour. :undecided

Hi Carrie, :)

I may try to be more careful and not to go over 170 and try at the temp you stated above and see if that helps. I like to add my oil at least 170 though. It could be that since your jars are more shallow it may not be as much of a problem. However, If I pour in my tureens to test just for scent throw and fill them all the way up it will still do it and that is a pretty shallow. If I pour up right before the neck in the tureens it does not do it. I do not pour past the neck in my taller jars.

It is weird how an outcome can be so different for one than the other. Maybe it is the heating temp. I am sure the kind of jar can definitely be a factor.

~Holly

I'm wondering if it's not a wick issue?? :undecided

I'm using the Premier 700s right now and I love the way they work but maybe the wax they use to coat them cools too quickly and the wax gets stuck to the sides somehow??

I'm testing the Fil Tec Ultra Core samples I have now.

What wick do you use?

Thanks!

Hi Vicki,

It could be. I have used both RRD's from BCN and RRD's from JBN. The JBN ones have a natural wax coating and the BCN one appears to be a paraffin -- I assume this because it is much stiffer. I believe I have the most luck with smoothnees around the wicks with the JBN one. I will pay more attention next time. I have noticed a slight raising of wax around the wick at times, but that never was a issue for me because my biggest concern was the dip and cracking. I have to take the heat gun anyway so if the wax is raised up a bit it takes care of that. If the raising of the wax around the wick was my only issue I would not mind. How does the cracking look that you get? How bad is it right at the wick? I don't get cracking right at the wick. I get it in a 2 inch (or so) diameter around the wick.

~Holly

Hi Carrie, :)

However, If I pour in my tureens to test just for scent throw and fill them all the way up it will still do it and that is a pretty shallow. If I pour up right before the neck in the tureens it does not do it. I do not pour past the neck in my taller jars.

This actually happens with all waxes and not just the CB3. I have seen a lot of people warn others about not pouring to high. i use the apothys and it happens to with pouring to high on the apothys. :wink2:

I would suggest trying the JS soy from Just Scent. This stuff is really performing well. I am not getting any frosting at all. The scent throw is outstanding and beats the CB3 hands down, IMO ;) I have decided to dump ADM and switch. JS soy is creamier, has a great scent throw hot and cold, and it is holding color beautifully. Just placed an order for a pallet of this stuff!

Jordan

This actually happens with all waxes and not just the CB3. I have seen a lot of people warn others about not pouring to high. i use the apothys and it happens to with pouring to high on the apothys. :wink2:

Yes, this is true. The thing is I do not pour past the neck on my tall jars but I can't go any lower or it will look a little funny. lol I was just trying to explain that it seems to work better (for me) in shallow jars. I still think that the the pros out weigh the cons with the CB-3. Everyone can get different results with different varibles. It is great that you have even better results! :)