Wicking Question

I am thinking about double wicking and I'm not sure what size wicks to use. I am using Natures C3 soy with 6% FO in a 10 oz. square footed jar that is 2 1/2 tall, 2 1/2 wide at top opening and 3 1/4 diameter. I would like to use eco wicks can anyone tell me what size I should use. When i single wicked this container i used an eco 8.

Thanks

Kellie

I am not getting a good mental image of the shape of your container - any chance of a photo? Is it square or round?

In either case, if I were to try to wick a container with the dimensions you stated, I would begin testing with a single CDN 10 or 12. I do not use ECO wicks so I have no suggestions for you using them. HTH :)

Well if you're bound and determined to double wick this and you've already gotten advice from a "distributor" then why don't you just take THAT advice and test it out?

If those wicks don't work then you can either go up or down and then test again-nothing else you can do since you are adamant about using those wicks.

In my opinion, since I've worked with jars with similar dimensions... I would start with a cd 14 and work from there. While you should keep in mind that you don't want to wick too hot for the latter half of the jar, you're still trying achieve a fmp...correct?

As for the double wicking...I would think that because of the shape of the top of the jar, you would have to set the wicks pretty close together and that being the case, then what's the point in double wicking? Sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

hth.

Kim

My reason for wanting to double wick is that from what I've been reading it gives a better melt pool which in turn gives a better scent throw. I was thinking that because my containers are only 10 oz. that would be better in a larger room. The eco 8 was too small so therefore I know I need togo to a larger wick for single wicking. I'm not sure what's the best way to go. Everyone has different opions. Obviously I am new to candle making and I just want to do things the right way to get the most out of the candles I make. I have been learning so much since I first started doing this it's mind boggleing.

Kellie

Double-wicking can be like using a blowtorch instead of a carmelizing chef's torch. Both will do the job, the blowtorch would certainly be faster but it's not necessarily better.

If the ECO 8 was too small, then try a 10, then try a 12. I am not being flip -- some parts of this testing process are a little tedious. You also have to test all the way to the end/bottom of the candle -- melt pools behave different from the beginning to tne end. I have overwicked many, many times because I wasn't happy with my second or third burn and then ended up with a MP that was way too deep later on.

Being methodical about your testing will get you the results you want, unless you want to rely on dumb luck which is what happens when you just skip around.

ETA: doule wicking when it's not really needed can also lead to a candle being consumed faster than it was properly (single) wicked. And I can get a decent throw from a 7.5oz container with a ~3 in diameter -- it's possible without sticking more wicks in it.

Double wicking won't necessarily give a better scent throw.

What it will most likely do is make your candle burn faster which with a 10oz jar I really would not want happening.

I want me jars to burn at a slow even rate. Mind you I don't want them to burn so slow that people won't have to reorder for a year (exaggeration).

These are more things to consider when choosing wicks and wick sizes. Some burn hotter than others and if you over wick you get soot, smoking, hot containers etc.

That's why everyone just has to test for themselves to actually SEE what works and HOW it performs.

Guest Candelishis
Double wicking won't necessarily give a better scent throw.

Won't necessarily give you a better melt pool either, if that's what you're worried about, Kellie. If you're not getting a good melt pool with a single wick, try wicking up. If you're not getting a good hot throw, maybe add more FO?

If you find a good wick to use to single-wick it, I'd stick with it. If you're determined to double wick it, good luck.