Needing LOTS of help :)

Hi there. Today I have decided that I would love to learn how to make candles. The only problem is I have no idea where to even begin. Could someone please help me? I need to know what are the best products to buy (and what all I need) and just the basic instructions on how to make great scented candles for my home.

Thanks so much,

Emily

First you need to decide what kind of candle you want to make, container, votive, or pillars. Then I suggest going to a supplier such as peaks (link on the right) and purchase a starter kit. It will include everything you need to get started. It's cheaper than buying everything seperately and this way you'll get a feel for it to see if you even like it, before putting a ton of money into it. This is a very expensive hobby, but it's a lot of fun. Good Luck!:D

And make sure you read the "tips for newbies", it's the top thread of this section. You'll save a lot of money by reading those, and then getting a started kit. Wish I had known this before I started and wasted a lot of cash. HTH

When I started making candles in 2001, I did it to make homemade Christmas gifts for friends and family that year. Little did I know that after that initial starter kit, I would be spending hundreds of dollars over the next few years! It's a wonderful yet expensive hobby! I started with jar candles and I've found I like doing them best!

Have fun!!

Lots of reading and researching :) Look at making your initial investment into a kit for the kind of candles you want to make. Several suppliers have options for kits -- votives, pillars, containers. And they'll come with pretty easy instructions, but glean what you can off the boards as well. Welcome to this board.

I would suggest if you have a candle supply company in Memphis ( I think that is where I read you are from ) that you take the time to physically go and visit them to purchase your supplies locally. ( NOT at a craft store, Hobby Lobby or Michaels etc, but a candle supplier ) Most suppliers have people on staff that are excellent at helping you get started and know their products well enough to make recommendations with the products they carry.Most candle suppliers are "one stop shopping" now ,meaning you can get everything you will need right there.

Honestly with everything I have done to try and learn, the very best information and the most helpful guidance came directly from the suppliers. Sitting down with them, taking notes, placing your order and asking questions really helps! Not sure what type learner you are, but if I read everything that is on the boards before I started, I would have been so discouraged I might not have even tried. It gets WAY complicated and discouraging on the boards sometimes ( IMHO ). The suppliers want customers, and they can help you get started with the "right" everything.

If you don't have a supplier close, than order an all inclusive kit from one of the suppliers with the instructions.

HTH

Michael