402, 415, EZSoy Experiment

Hi all! I've been working with EZSoy and I've worked with 415 in the past, but someone gave me some 402 and I thought I would test the three against each other for fun. I heated them all and added FO at the same temperatures (wasn't sure about the 402, but I guessed), no additives or dye, 1 oz per lb BCN Strawberry Jam, and same size CD wick. I waited until each one got slushy to pour in 8 oz jelly jars.

So far, no visible frosting on any of them, tops aren't bad in my opinion, and only the EZSoy has a huge wet spot.

I'm wondering about testing them all at the same time. Is this advisable? Do you rate cold scent strength by leaving the lids off in a room or just sniffing them before lighting. I've got three fairly same size rooms to put each in, but air flows are different. Does that matter?

So, for testing do I test each candle one at a time in the same room and record results or burn all three in different rooms and rate?

Anyone else prefer one wax over the other?

Thanks!:)

Hi all! I've been working with EZSoy and I've worked with 415 in the past, but someone gave me some 402 and I thought I would test the three against each other for fun.

I'm confused :confused: What is the 3rd? 415 is EZSoy...

Well, I thought so too, but I'm not so sure. 415 is 100% soy, right? Well, my EZSoy says soy/cottonseed blend on the label and GB makes something else that's that blend, 435 maybe? Anywho, I didn't think they would make the same thing under two different numbers, but I really have no idea. That's why I went ahead and poured both.

Anyone else want to clarify?:confused:

Hmmmm, my label on this shipment says soy "based" flakes, but just EZsoy. Shipments in the past say soy "blend", but just EZsoy also. Different batches?:confused:

Oh well, EZsoy is actually behaving closer to 402 in my test burns. EZsoy has the strongest throw, followed by 402, then 415. EZsoy and 402 melt faster too. I wonder if 415 would kick booty if I actually let them cure for two weeks though (only 48 hours this time) and if I wicked up. EZsoy and 415 had wet spots, 402 still hasn't separated from the glass and none of them have frosting yet.

Does anyone use 402 straight or do most people use it to soften a harder wax? I think I like it, but I know I like EZsoy (I can get 402, 415 locally, hence the experiment). I wonder if the throw would improve with more curing?

Any 402 users out there?

I have pictures, but photobucket is acting up. I will keep trying.

I don't use those waxes, but I read about how to determine the strongest hot throw before... basically it goes like this.

Burn them on a table, spaced evenly apart, and once an even melt pool is established, hover over them, wafting the scent towards you with your hand, going over each one, then lift your head up and sniff... the one that has the strongest throw should become apparent. I hope that makes sense. I think I read it on this board somewhere.

Good luck! :)

• 4 months later...

I have been using the 415 and loved it but now my supplier is out. The closest supplier is offering a 402 at the cheepest price, but now I would probably have to change everything an test all over again. Can you tell me anything about the 402 please? I don't want to change but I will run out of wax if I don't do something else.

Hi. Both 415 and 402 are stated to be pure soy with the 402 having a 115-120 melt temp and the 415 having 120-125 melt temp. Most people use the 402 if your 415 is on the upper melt range and your usual wicking isn't cutting it. They say the 415 can have 9-10% FO while the 402 can carry 6-8%. Both can have wet spots and frosting depending on temp, color and FO variety. And, Coffeebean, you might have to wick down a size in the straight 402. hth. Beth

When I first started making candles,

BCN sold the EZ Soy with cottonseed in it.

Then something happened with the Cottonseed crop I was told by BCN,

and EZ Soy was sold with out cottonseed.

I guess they went back to using the cottonseed version again??:meditate:

So if BCN is using cottonseed, then it is not the straight 415 Soy any more.

It would be the 435 Soy (Soy with cottonseed)

If I am confusing you.. Here is a link to the different types of soy.

http://www.gfgb.com/candles/candle_products.htm

In the old days there was 415, most times it was made with cotton seed. If cotton seed was too high they left it out but it was still called 415. When some started bitching that they didn't like soy without cotton seed and wanted it even if it cost more, they made another #. Others said I want pure soy... Hence 415 all soy 435 soy/cotton seed. I prefer the soy with cotton seed. I would see if your local supplier also has 435 and test it against the 415, shipping is going to get worse, so get it local.... JMHO

I tested 402 years ago, it threw great but looked like crap. The wax would bloom? and bubble up like, not a pretty site. That was over 8 yrs ago so different methods might change the results.

I use 402.Started with it and like it. Thought about testing other soys but this works for me.Colors of candles look good and the scent throw is excellent.

You do get frosting under weather conditions.To hot or to cold but I know that is a common with soy. I try watch that at outside shows but only the darkest colors frost slightly. Doing candles in the basement in winter I eitherh bring them upstairs or else turn the heater on in the basement. Still though any soy would frost.

At shows people come over to me and tell me I have the best smelling candles of any around.One lady said she had smelled them all and came back to me. Trust me she did some work because at this show there are bunches and bunches of candle makers.Like over 30.

LynnS