Best supplier for FO's

Kellie

It is very hard to pinpoint 1 supplier for the best oils as I have probably 5 different suppliers that I really enjoy their oils. What works for one person, may not work for another. This question your asking also depends on the type of wax your using. If your looking for a particular f/o, it may be easier to find out who has the best based on that.

I've been researching over the past year with the plan of starting a small scale candle business I've decided that I like the Natures Wax (soy) C 3. It's really confusing when it comes to the FO's and I want to make great smelling candles being that I hear from people all the time that the candles they buy don't have a strong enough smell. There are soooo many distributors selling FO's I'm wondering if most of them are getting their oils from the same manufacturer, it seems as many of them carry the same names. If this is the case then I would imagine that there really isn't a difference. It's getting very expensive sampling the fo's from different companies. I would love to be able to find one company to deal with.

Kellie

Welcome to the real world of candle making!! Even though several companies may have the same name for a FO, does not mean they all smell the same. An FO many have 1 note, 1 layer to it and another of the same name may have many more layers to it, that's what dictates the costs. Some suppliers use more EO's in their scents than anothers, which will give the FO many different notes while burning. Unfortunately buying samples and testing in your own wax is the ONLY way to know what you are getting and looking for in a scent. I personally use about 10 different suppliers for my candles, as one company is not gonna have exactly what you are looking for and that works in your specific candles. If you are looking for a cheap hobby/business, you picked the wrong one. Soy can also be a tricky wax, in that some FO's just don't throw at all, so you just need to test various FO's and wicking to get what you are after. What may work for one person, may not work for you. :cool2:

While all that is so true, a GREAT supplier to start with for soy is CandleScience. They have a soy "rating" system and reviews on their site. I have yet to be disappointed- everyone who has smelled them has loved them. I used them almost exclusively for my Christmas line this year (except for a few from TCS) and did very well.

Hopefully they'll be having a $1 sample sale sometime in the next little while (after Valentine's day maybe?)... I can't wait!

-Kristi

I would buy FO's from the place you are buying your wax to start then move on from there. More than likely they tested their FO's in that wax.

Personally everybody on the list that CB gave you is great. Some I haven't tried yet and most I love. Honestly you'll never find just 1 supplier that your happy with. Even though some come close there still is that 1 FO that you'll find elsewhere that you like better.

Have fun and Good Luck,

Mindy

Thank you all for your replies. CareBear the link u gave me is excellent! It appears that Bitter Creek and Natures Garden have a lot. I have ordered from Just by Nature, Peak and several from Natures Garden. I will have to try BC. Although I am starting out small I am planning to grow in the future and would like for my candles to be perfect.... natually. This is not just a hobby for me. I am so glad I found this message board, I'm sure you will all be of much help.

Kellie