Swirling M&P soap

JacquiO

I just got some SFIC Low Sweat MP and want to swirl 2 colors. I tried doing the other night with disasterous results.

The problem I find is that it forms a skin really quickly. How to I get it to thicken to swirl. Is it even possible to swirl MP. I feel like I'm missing some technique here.

Here is a link to the only tutorial online that I've seen that makese any sense. There could be more out there, but I quit looking a long time ago lol. I've seen much better examples of swirling MP on this board than those that are exhibited on that site, but it does give you some ideas to try. IMO it's not really swirling that she is showcasing, but it's something different than your normal every day MP.

http://www.halderman.net/soap/instructions/mpswirling.htm

I know that to actually swirl MP soap you need to really play with the temps of your soap base as it cools.. and stir that skin in several times over. MOst of the time it ends up looking like it's marbeled, but it's still pretty when done correctly. Good luck with your swirling! Post pics when you do it!

You have to keep stirring it as it cools so the skin doesn't form. It's not as easy to do swirls with MP as it is with CP. I get more of a 'marble' effect or wispy swirls. Here is one I did a while back...

malabar.jpg

PA and I were posting at the same time!

Those are all wonderful examples. And thanks Praireanne for the link. I'm going to try out those instructions. I never even thought of peeling off the skin.

I'm going to play this weekend and hopefully have some pics to post myself.

Thanks!

I haven't had much luck swirling M&P, had some swirls but nothing like I wanted, the closest I came to something cool, was some psycadelic chunks I made for some soap.

here is what it looked like before I cut it.

10-10-07_2015.jpg

I just got some SFIC Low Sweat MP and want to swirl 2 colors. I tried doing the other night with disasterous results.

The problem I find is that it forms a skin really quickly. How to I get it to thicken to swirl. Is it even possible to swirl MP. I feel like I'm missing some technique here.

MY SWIRLING MP MISADVENTURE:

Well I tried using the technique described in the link prairieannie provided. It was difficult getting two batches to thicken at the same rate. By the time I got the two poured they were too thick. I had to zap in the microwave to get to smooth out and then covered the bumpy top with some rose petals and lavender buds.

I think it is possible to do this and it's really a matter of getting the timing down but I'm never going to get the beautiful results that you get with CP and HP.

103030990_o.jpg

103030983_o.jpg

I haven't had much luck swirling M&P, had some swirls but nothing like I wanted, the closest I came to something cool, was some psycadelic chunks I made for some soap.

here is what it looked like before I cut it.

10-10-07_2015.jpg

I love that tie-dye look. I also like the way Jcandleattic's swirls looked marbled. I've been using loaf molds. I'm going to have to get a hold of a slab mold to try some different effects.