shipping rants

LynnS

Long rants

I have been shipping USPS and doing good but wanted to ship some bigger orders or real small with UPS and DHL. Just to try anyway.

My first try I had a order for 20 2 packs of tarts. I am sure they won't be much with UPS. Husband and I go to ship it and the guy pulled up the smallest box HE SAID.Well it was over my knees but he said he could cut it down. He did and it was about to my knees then. I am looking in shock and then he said "Better use some peanuts".He put gobs in there for bottom. Then put the 20 packs of tarts. Still plenty of room so he packed boo koo more peanuts. By then I Am about to tell him to forget it and about to go over that counter and show him there are more boxes and let's look at those. I just was in shock though and wanted this order shipped ASAP so finally he weighs it. 3.4 lbs, then shipping destination, then measures the box. Ended up to be $13.90 and I am so ticked I am about to go back and see some other boxes. Really. UPS is a RIP OFF.

I just may make a trip in to see what sizes they do have for the heck of it. If smaller ones than what he gave me I will call the manager. I know there were much smaller ones.

Now for the other shipping source.DHL.I had a order for 12 candles.Perfect to ship in same box and it was tight. I go to DHL location and the lady said "This cannot be shipped you need some bubble wrap and another box". I agreed with bubble wrap and I have some at home(wasn't about to buy any)Also testing the water with them too since UPS burned me. Told her fine I will be back after I re-pack in another box and bubble wrap. But before I go WILL you please give me a idea on the cost to send this to so and so. Sure.The cost was $17.40 and she never measured the box.I know it has to be measured so know it was not the TOTAL cost. Caught another boo boo and she thinks I am dumb. Knew I wasn't going back.

Anyway I get back home and sent it USPS and told the Postmaster and he laughed. It is stupid IMO.Postmaster also told me that in March those of us who ship will be having some new flat rate boxes coming out. I was so happy I got almost all my order in a flat rate box.8 candles and a tart pack.The next box will be flat rate too but sure wont be a fortune to ship. I think it was a couple boxes.I need to ask him more today.

I am so fed up with shipping and I don't ship alot. I hope the new PO boxes with be a little bigger.I can get enough in the flat rate now but maybe we will be able to get more. Still will be the same flat rate

box we have now but will be a couple more boxes MAYBE to choose from.Anyone else heard about this?????

Any other UPS rip offs.

I am checking UPS on that box for sure.Might take 20 tarts again just to see what is going on. Not letting this go by.

LynnS

Yes in March there will be an additional size for the post office's flat rate box. It will be 50% bigger than the existing flat rate box and the price will also be 50% more.

Could you have used your own box and brought it to UPS already packed and sealed to get their shipping estimate? That way you wouldn't be forced to use their giant sized box and having to pay extra for it.

I dont use UPS very often, as their prices are very high and they go by box size first and not just the weight (found that out the hard way, lol) and most of the things I sell right now can fit into a flat rate box. They also charge exorbitant prices for their wrapping supplies !!!!

However, recently I packed something in a big USPS priority box and wrapped in brown paper and took to UPS to mail. They do not allow boxes to be wrapped in paper so she took it off. I said, but it is in a USPS priority box and she said no problem, you can use any box as long as you dont wrap it in paper !

So, sudsnwicks, you should be able to use any box to go with UPS, but the smaller the better to save on cost.

Kathy

I was looking in my basement for a box. I had some from other places and no time to take that label off. I was thinking about brown shipping paper but had none. So just thought UPS will have a box the right size I need. Funny I am not sure if I mentioned I started to get a box (just casual) or he brought it up. His answer if you use your own boxes, we FROWN on that shipping paper. DA He must have been reading my mind. I am not sure I said a word. I was in to much shock and I think he knew it. Why he said something about using my own box(if my thought) or using brown wrapping paper. Before I got out the door I made a comment to my husband.NEVER AGAIN. That is why I got DHL on their bluff. Not going to have another shipping rip off in 1 week. When I am in shock and ticked I am speechless. LIKE is this for REAL????

What's with this? "We don't want customers to use the brown paper".I used it all the time when shipping to my son overseas. Another detour from UPS and saying don't like customers to do that.

LynnS

Lynn, it may be helpful to have some boxes on hand for sending out larger orders. UPS ground does tend to have a better rate if you're sending something heavy and too big to fit in the USPS flat rate box. I ordered some from uline.com for this purpose. It's not too big of an investment and it will give you more choices if you were to receive a large order.

New Flat Rate Box Info:

Postal Service Announces Two New Shipping Initiatives

Governors Approve Bigger Flat-Rate Box with First-Time Military Discount,

Express Mail Sunday and Holiday Premium

WASHINGTON, DC - The U.S. Postal Service announced today that its Board of

Governors approved two new initiatives to grow its shipping business and

revenue. A new, larger Priority Mail Flat-Rate Box enables customers to ship

50 percent more than with the current box. It will be offered at a discount

to overseas military addresses, a postal first for the armed forces. The

agency also announced a new Sunday and holiday delivery price for Express

Mail. Customers can begin using the new boxes March 3, the same day the

premium takes effect.

The Postal Service filed notification of these decisions today with the

Postal Regulatory Commission. They are the first actions under the new

pricing regulations set forth under the Postal Accountability and Enhancement

Act of 2006. Notice of the changes will appear in the Federal Register.

New Priority Mail Large Flat-Rate Box

The current flat-rate box, which gives customers a single, predetermined rate

regardless of the weight or delivery zone, was introduced in November 2004.

The new, larger box extends the agency's successful flat-rate offerings,

providing more choices for small businesses and consumers.

"We listened to our customers, and we're giving them a new box that lets them

ship larger items while still enjoying the benefits of a flat rate," said

Postmaster General John Potter. "Flat-rate boxes are very popular and the

new, larger version provides even more value."

The new Priority Mail Large Flat-Rate Box (12" x 12" x 5½") can be used for

both domestic and international shipments. This extends the flat-rate price

and ease-of-use benefits to international shippers. There is also a 5 percent

online discount.

There will be a special version of the box for the military, with a $2

discount, if shipped to an Army Post Office or Fleet Post Office (APO/FPO)

address.

All Postal Service Priority and Express Mail packages and envelopes are

environmentally friendly, exceeding the highest standards for recyclability.

Domestic Shipping $12.95

Military Shipping

* APO/FPO Addresses $10.95

Angi

Great info on the new boxes. $12.95 and 50% bigger. Amazing USPS listens to us and will give us a great shipping option. Some people may want to buy more and get their money's worth and does help us small business owners.

I was so happy to get8- 8 ounce JJ in my flat rate box $8.95. Might have been able to get 1 or 2 more. Good shipping cost IMO.

Better yet USPS is only 1 mile from my house and the other places are almost 25 miles.

Husband told me last night to grab some more boxes from USPS today. I will be going there soon to get this last box shipped.

LynnS

Lynn, you can also order the USPS boxes online:

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductCategoryDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11820&top_category=11820

They'll mail them to you free of charge, and you can stock up on them more easily.

It's definitely a great value if you can get 8 jelly jars into the flat rate box! I have only been able to do 6 at the most but then I am somewhat packing-impaired. :D

Our post office does not get the boxes. You can pretty much only get priority envelopes. They say they aren't allowed to order them for the po anymore. I told them I would go online and get a bunch for free and drop em off lol.

The post lady was actually thankful that I did that.

Angi

I love UPS and always use them, plus they have a punch card so with every 10th purchase I get $5.00 off, but I also ship 5-8 times a week. UPS always charge for boxes, peanuts, bubblewrap etc. that is how they make money and they do add a fee on top of the shipping, so that is something to consider. They also charge on the dimensions of the box to be shipped. I always keep my boxes under a certain size that way I have a good idea of how much I will be charged. I also have a Postal Annex store that is closer to where I live, but there fees are even higher than The UPS store, so shop around because every shipping store is different. I have found if you are shipping a small box always ship it USPS. I only use UPS for large boxes. :-)

I dont use UPS very often, as their prices are very high and they go by box size first and not just the weight (found that out the hard way, lol) and most of the things I sell right now can fit into a flat rate box. They also charge exorbitant prices for their wrapping supplies !!!!

However, recently I packed something in a big USPS priority box and wrapped in brown paper and took to UPS to mail. They do not allow boxes to be wrapped in paper so she took it off. I said, but it is in a USPS priority box and she said no problem, you can use any box as long as you dont wrap it in paper !

So, sudsnwicks, you should be able to use any box to go with UPS, but the smaller the better to save on cost.

Kathy

That is something, I'm pretty positive it is illegal to use the USPS boxes (any of them) to send via any other service besides USPS.

Although I did have a supplier send me something via UPS and it was in a USPS box, so I guess UPS just doesn't care, as long as it's not wrapped in brown paper? LOL

I'm pretty positive it is illegal to use the USPS boxes (any of them) to send via any other service besides USPS.

This is correct, it is an offense to use the USPS boxes for other purposes than priority mail. That is why I bought some boxes from uline, so that I don't have to scramble around looking for a box if I have to ship by some other method (including USPS parcel post).

Crazycacti,

It was a DHL center(other shipping services) and the only one near me. I looked that up for my area. We also have maybe 5 just drop off areas but never use those.

I know those centers are rip offs and have been taken for candles(UPS). For DHL I thought it would be better and it is for candles but she wasn't going to accept my packing till I got all of their supplies and I knew that so went back to USPS. Still she never weighed it right and she thought she was going to get me back and then say "OH yes we have to measure the box".Well she never did the first time.So I wasn't gettng the real cost to ship those 12 candles.

With being ripped off by UPS for candles I only went there because I felt "how could just 20 packs of tarts be outrageous to ship". Well it is when the guy gives you a huge box for such a lightweight item. It also was not UPS but a center out of a office supply place. Funny the 2 times I used this I asked about difference in cost hearing on here about the rip offs and both workers said "We are the cheaper than the UPS stores and have been told many use us instead". I am going to the UPS store and take about the same thing I took to him and see what box I get and the cost. How could 3.4 lbs cost $13.90 when about all was a huge box and peanuts.Not much product at all.

Sudnwicks.

I did get quite a few of boxes from the USPS but before I knew about the flat rate box.I did get them FREE but now I pretty much use only flat rate box. I might think about the other boxes and also check with the real UPS store and their cost. Just if someone orders just one or 2 candles not a alot of savings there for shipping. Once I had the postmaster weigh my 8 ounce JJ and it was going to cost almost $3.50(2 years ago) in shipping. That was only by weight. I Didn't give a destination.

the owner of my local ups store said that it is o.k. for them to use usps boxes for shipping I asked him twice and he said it is perfectly fine, I guess they have some sort of agreement I don't know how correct that is but he takes them. I found that to be weird as well. Also with ups and yes they are high but they have excellent tracking, if you loose something with usps you may as well kiss it goodbye cause you'll play hell trying to get them to find it or pay the insurance, my usps said we only pay insurance after 30 days. Yeah my customer liked that answer, not. So out it went again, only by ups. The post office does have better rates and if they had an up to date tracking system and decent customer service they would be wonderful. They need to work on their customer service skills cause they leave alot to be desired.

janis

Never use UPS for supplies for shipping. They can be gotten free from everywhere. Dollar stores will save stuff for you, office supply places, etc. Also, since you have been shipping USPS you obviously found out UPS, FedEx and DHL are more cost effective with higher weight packages. You could have used a padded envelope for the tarts or a USPS flat rate envelope stuffed with some peanuts.

When worse comes to worse, use priority mail boxes turned inside out if the size is right to send with another service. No one cares nor will know. No need for wrapping with craft paper, another unneeded expense.

I am tired of UPS anyways! They leave packages on our driveway (our house sits 1/2 mile from the main road), instead of leaving them at a neighbors or something! In the winter I try to make sure my packages go to my mom's, but sometimes I don't know how they are coming. They have left 2 packages on our driveway in the past few weeks.

Steph

I use UPS and wouldn't think of changing. Only time I use USPS is if a customer ask. I have very nice UPS guys, they bring everything in for me and will even stack my wax boxes if I ask:) I am on a daily pickup and that is cheaper than an occasionally pickup. I buy boxes from Uline and save all my "peanuts" in large trash bags and also the bubble wrap. Get plenty of those in supplies I order. I also save some of the boxes supplies come in. Just take their shipping labels off. I break them down and store in storage room.

I use USPS most of the time, but for larger packages I almost always go Fedex. I use my own boxes and drop of at any place that does Fed ex and it is cheaper that shipping something heavy usps. I just pring the fedex label out and tape on the box, just like usps click and ship. Debits out of my account.

The only issue I have had with fedex is that you need to be sure to mark that you are dropping it off, and then get a courtesy qoute BEFORE you hit ship. Otherwise you will be charged for a pick up (even if you dropped in off) and the only way you will see the approximate cost right then is to get the courtesy quote.

Bethany

the owner of my local ups store said that it is o.k. for them to use usps boxes for shipping I asked him twice and he said it is perfectly fine, I guess they have some sort of agreement I don't know how correct that is but he takes them. I found that to be weird as well.

My guess is that if you get caught, it's you who will pay the penalty. That may explain why UPS doesn't care whose boxes you use.

I am not planning on doing this anymore no matter what anyone says as I can't afford any penalties, heck the dang shipping rates are enough to send anyone to the poor house, thanks for the heads up guys.

jais

My guess is that if you get caught, it's you who will pay the penalty. That may explain why UPS doesn't care whose boxes you use.