Cold Weather and Soaps

Crystala25

Someone sent the soap fairies to me and they caused a bunch of trouble over the weekend. :sad2: I made 7 batches of soap of which only 3 came out right. I've made these soaps before, same recipes, same scents and I have no idea what happened.

1st - Sandalwood Vanilla (bb), it riced.

2nd - Blue Sugar (js), went crumbly.

3rd - Mango Papaya (peaks), after I unmolded and cut it, there were lye pockets inside.

4th - Mojito Cocktail (js), I had green swirls inside, but the rest turned a poop yellow color, with a slight red tint on top?

Asian Spice, Lavender Vanilla and Yuzu came out perfect!

I'm wondering, besides the soap fairies messing around, if the cold weather has anything to do with my soaping. I usually only make my soap on warmer days, but even with the cold this weekend decided to soap anyways. Any thoughts?

Well my theory is fairies lol, who will return to the outdoors when it gets warmer.

A few things actually ... did you look for reviews on those scents? Take any kind of water discount and maybe shouldn't have? Are you using colorant for soap as there's some stuff out there that's just funky.

Sounds like the Mango Papaya did a false trace on you. The ricing ... was always told to beat through it to tame the beast. The JS stuff? Can't answer that as I don't use her stuff.

I agree, I think the soap fairies are to blame, there's no other explanation, lol. I did search for reviews and those were scents that were reviewed as good in cp. I've soaped all of them before with no problems. As for water discount, my discount is always at 5%, I never change it.

The colorants I use are micas from brambleberry, there the only ones I use. I did try to use a hand mixer to beat through the seizing of the sandalwood vanilla, but I think I made it worse. :confused:

Why would measuring the lye directly into the water make a difference?

Sounded like just possibly too much lye could have gotten into these batches so I was thinking about a scale problem I've seen that could cause it to happen.

Some scales try to give you more a stable reading by interpreting very small changes in weight as "noise" and canceling it out. So if you did something different that required pouring lye more slowly, it could fail to register all the weight and make you to put in too much. In a case like this where the soaper has a good handle on what they're doing, I figure maybe look for something tricky that you wouldn't suspect.

Otherwise it doesn't matter which way you do it. Weighing lye dry can make you underweigh a little because it gets heavier as you work with it. Weighing it into the water can make you overweigh a little because the solution is losing weight to the air as you pour. Either way it's not enough to throw you off by much. But a cranky scale can throw you off by a lot.

Fairies. I don't use a hand mixer, so I'm thinking that's incorporating air into the mix. How about a stick blender?

I hate rice (except to eat lol), so I know it's not fun to work through. If you're familiar with the scents and colorant, I'm stumped. Maybe add that 5% water back in on the batch that rices (when/if you make it again.)

Scented, it is a stick blender, I just call it a hand mixer, just a habit. Thanks for trying to help me out everyone. Not sure what happened. I think I might try rebatching, although rebatching and me is a whole other story, lol. The mojito cocktail isn't bad just ugly, so I'll keep that batch for me.