Lotion Bar Consistency

Cami

I decided to try and make lotion bars with just beeswax and avocado butter. I've been treaking the recipe the last few days, and not sure if I've got it correct.. Are your bars hard and melt on contact after rubbing the product over your skin, or are they soft and creamy to the touch???

Should you use more beeswax than butters or vise versa???

The recipe I got online calls for Vit E to be added also, but I haven't added that yet. I am trying to see what they are like before adding this, and trying to prevent them from being too greasy.

Do any of you also add botanical or herbal extracts ingredients to your lotion bars???

Can you tell me more about how your bars feel please... I hope I didn't completely fail at this. I've been tweaking the recipe to see what it would be like...

Thanks!

Heres the exact recipe

Avocado Butter Lotion Bar

3 tsp bees wax

9 tsp avocado butter

¼ tsp vitamin e

¼ to ½ tsp fragrance or eo

6 small deodorant tubes

Melt beeswax and avocado butter together on low heat. After it is fully melted, remove from the heat and add vitamin e and fragrance. Pour into tubes.

Your recipe looks pretty good at first glance - sometimes I add a bit of cornstarch to cut the greasies. Usually my bars are firm to the touch, but melt quickly w/out a waxy feeling that beeswax can have. My first bars were horrible ( to me at least) because of too much beeswax - waaaaay too waxy.

Beeswax should be just enough to keep the bar firm.

My recipe I use is generally 1/3 butter, 1/3 oil and 1/3 BW. My bars are firm to the touch but melt upon contact with the skin. You can tweak the amounts and use the oils and butters you want to get the consistency you are looking for in a bar. If you want a softer bar, you can decrease the amount of BW and up the amount of your oils and/or butter. If you want a firmer bar, increase the BW and/or butters (especially if using a firmer butter) and decrease the oils. In my lotion bars, I like to use BW, cocoa butter and sweet almond oil. You can use whatever combo you want. Shea butter works nicely in them too. You can sub out another wax for BW like with carnuba wax. I don't care for cornstarch in stuff as I can feel it on my skin. But that is me and you might find you like it. Good luck!

I don't care for cornstarch in stuff as I can feel it on my skin. But that is me and you might find you like it. Good luck!

You are so right Meridith - as I get more experience, I don't care for the cornstarch feel either - I am going to be phasing it out.