Wholesale account(2 ?)

LynnS

I hava a customer who want to buy wholesale for just tarts. She has brought on-line a few times and now wants wholesale cost for customers who buy her products and also will be Valentine gifts.

I really don't need a wholesale written agreement for this would I ?? I asked awhile back about my sales rep who is independent and was told I really don't need one for her since she is independent. She buys and then re-sells. So wouldn't think this wholesaler needs to sign anything. Your opinions???

Also with getting wholesale how can she pay with her cc since I have only retail prices on my site. Do I need to have a wholesale page or just have her send MO or check? So far she pays with her cc through PAY PAL and I am sure she wants it to stay that way. Help me with some ideas on this also. I am new to whoelsale. The other lady opted to send checks.

Thank You

LynnS

No agreement would/should be required for wholesale. I have a dozen or so wholesale accts and I don't have them sign anything.

Alot of my wholesale accts. order offline, via email or phone. If they are wanting to pay with a CC, I just call them and they give me the info and process thru my CC terminal. If you don't have a CC terminal, just send her a paypal invoice and let her pay thru them. Your acct will then have the $$.

Though having a wholesale page does bring in lots of business, you may want to investigate that. I have my site hosted with DIYestores and they just created a wholesale page for me and I did the rest. I just love it and the business it has gotten me.

HTH!

Carrie

She will soon be ordering and all I have are retail on my site. For the one lady she e-mails me the order and sends check or MO.I will see how to do this with Pay Pal. I am not all that familiar with the way the shopping cart and Pay Pal works. She I am sure knows more than me.This is my first wholesale that I am sure will be cc. Other one is check or MO.

I do need to set up something for stores in the future. Sending out samples to some out of my area. Wondered about a wholesale page only for these orders.

I will get with her and think I will forget the signed contract for gifts. No reason for that.She wondered about my wholesale but all she needs is the wholesale cost per pack of tarts. No legal hoop la.

LynnS

As others have said, you can easily send an invoice to her through Paypal, but if I were you I would make sure that she bought enough to really warrant wholesale pricing.

As an example if she buys tarts for $1 each at retail now she will expect to buy them for $.50, so if she bought 20 at a time before she paid you $20. Now she will buy 20 and you will only get $10, so that would be taking a step backwards.

So it's important for you to establish minimums whether you do it by quantity or dollar amount. Minimum amounts vary, but $100 is a common low dollar amount that many wholesalers will charge. That amount is good for weeding out people who are just looking to get discounts for themselves.

Since she's requesting wholesale did you verify if she has a tax ID? You can give people wholesale pricing, but if they don't have a tax ID they still get charged tax.

When I sell wholesale here I need to get a signed ST-119 tax form from whatever person or group I am selling wholesale to. This exempts me from collecting and paying sales tax to the state as the responsibility now falls on the shoulders of the purchaser. This Certificate must also be kept on file for several years just in case I get audited. Without it, if I get audited, I will have to pay sales tax on the items sold.

• 3 weeks later...

Good question....of which I do not have an answer. This might be something you would ask an accountant being it would be a different country. I would think my concern would also be the customs inspections of the product you would probably be exposed to at the border. One other off topic item of interest....I have a friend in Canada who shipped me some items to be used for a fundraiser at a silent auction. She had to be certain to list on the customs form that it was a gift with no value. She said that if a value was listed on the package, it would have to be taxed. In most cases customs just lets them go through, but on the occassion that they would open the package for inspection and found it to be something other than a gift, taxes would be due. This sounds like you might want to do a bunch of research before getting into this just to be sure you are doing everything by the customs rules.

Where the wholesale taxes are concerned, I have no tax liability on wholesale orders. The liability for the collection of taxes falls on the shoulders of the final consumer of the product. It would be double dipping by the tax maneth if I had to pay tax on the items, and the ultimate consumer on the other end would also be paying the tax upon purchae of the product. That is why when wholesaling, you must get the tax certificate of the business you are selling wholesale to at the time of sale. It's your proof that you made the sale and are not liable for the taxes.

Please post what you find out about your potential Canadian account. It would be interesting to know what the rules are.

• 4 weeks later...