Effusion lamp fuel scents...

To those of you who make your own fuel for the effusion lamps, can you share some scents that are successful for you? I am currently testing different scents and some are horrible after they are burning!

Here's my list so far....

Pink Sugar, wow!!! Small amount of white smoke though. This is also the first that I added a small amount of water to.

Lemon Drop, again wow! smelled great, clean burn!

Spiced Cranberry, very strong will re-try with less fo, smelled good, small amount of smoke

Ocean Mist, very nice, clean burn.

Black Raspberry Vanilla, YUCK!!!!

Chestnuts & Brown Sugar, YUCK!!! All I could smell was burnt vanilla! I HATE vanilla.

I have done alot of reading about this on various boards and there not alot of straight answers and I have only found a few who list scents that worked.

Do you use 91 or 99% alcohol, and what is the difference in burn? I use 91 right now. What does the small amount of water do to the mix?

Last but not least, do any of you make your own lamps? If so, could you share information about that with me?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Erin

I LOVE my effusion lamp. Puraira.com had the cheapest prices I could find on the lamps but in the end brokerage fees killed me! If you live in the states tho youre ok.

I do love the home scenting oils from The Body Shop:

Spa Wisdom

Cassis Rose

Tobacco Flower

others with a fruity scent just dont seem to smell like I expect them to. Passion fruit was absolutely awful. A little better when I added a little essential oil of clove.

I bought a whole bunch of essential oils to make my own blends and find they work best either alone or with just one other oil. Rather than trying to mix 3 or more. I do love orange essential oil in it.

Mostly though floral and or spicy scents are my preference anyway.

Lavendar and Rosemary together are quite delightful as well.

About the "smoking". I have never seen that. All I can buy is 99% isopropyl alcohol tho and I understand that the "smoke" is just a bit of water vapor. So that may be what's happening.

I havent made my own lamps, I have this link saved in favorites tho:

http://fragrancelampekits.com/Howtomakeyoureffusiondiffuserlampe.aspx

As for the air cleaning properties; both my husband and I are smokers. On the Saturday before Christmas we had 5 additional smokers at our house--yes we smoke inside. I kept the lamp going all evening as we had our family Christmas supper that night---29 people in all.

Once my stepson's pregnant wife came in we all went outside to smoke and the only time she noticed the smoke odor was when someone had come in from smoking outside. I asked several people of they could smell tobacco smoke and no one could.

Right now I am battling a dead mouse smell as we put mouse poison down and the little buggers went and died inside the walls. It's an old house. So I light my lamp the minute I come home from work.

It's not the smell of the fragrance oil that deoderizes but the catalytic action of the alcohol.

Thanks for your input Oh-Myo. I haven't tried EO's, just FO's. I don't have any EO's here I like. Thanks for that link, I have been pondering whether or not to buy a kit or not, just want some input from others that make their own. I got my lamp for christmas, I was going to buy one myself but "let" my DH get it for me instead! LOL.

Stella, get the 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby and buy it there. They are normally 39.99 I think. These things are great! The downfall, I'm not burning my candles as much now.

SatinDucky, don't think of it as something lying around, if you're like me, you will use it all the time. Everyone who has seen mine, love how it looks! One word of caution though, sometimes you can't be in the same room as the lamp, it can be strong. I keep mine on my stove in the kitchen most times but have had to move it to the dining room for the stronger scents. It will scent my upstairs after about 30-45 minutes.

I have four lamps. I got them for $9.00 each at Tuesday Mornings!:yay:

I saw them at Hobby Lobby one day and put them on my "wish List" for Christmas because they were so expensive. Then, the next day while I was Christmas shopping for friends and famly, I found them at Tuesday Mornings. Needless to say, friends and family got them and I picked up a few for myself.:grin2:

I wish I would've known that I could make my own fuel. I have a lot of FO's from soap making here and I would have done it instead of paying $10 each for the fuel for everyone.

I love my lamps, but sometimes they are way too strong!! Or, they make the house smell like alcohol. I wouls love to hear what others use for scents. Is there a scent that smells good, not to strong and doesn't make my house smell like alcohol?

I picked up my fuel at Tuesday Morning in Vanilla and then I also went back to Hobby Lobby and picked up fuel in Hemmingway and Apple Cinn.

I love my Lampe Bergers. :cheesy2:

They were actually used to kill bacteria in the air many moons ago in hospitals. The history of these lamps is an interesting read. I've made the fuel before using both types of alcohol and FO. But I always go back to buying the *real* fuel for some reason. It is ridiculous to pay 20.00 a bottle for this stuff, but it seems to work much better than anything I've made.

Whatever you do~ don't try it with essential oils. Doesn't work.

I've never seen the fuel as cheap as other posters.

Plus we don't have those stores here. <sigh>