I'm bummed,shipping

I live in Alaska and its so expensive to get wax. I was getting it Parcel post. Now my supplier says they have to ship priority. It's double in price. :sad2: I'm sad. I love making candles. I found something I absolutely love to do and I may have to stop. I can't afford to pay 80.00 for shipping a case of wax. I am having a really bad day. I have some emails out to other suppliers asking if they would do it. Will see.

Just an idea.....

Why don't you look into container sharing with another company??? Probably not a candle supplier...but a different company all together. It may take some time to get to you...but by sea may be the way to go.

THEN....order a heap to last you months and months and start operating classes, or markets or whatever it is you want to do....people can buy from you as their "supplier" of their raw materials, and for those who dont really want the fuss and bother of making their own...well they can buy everything made by you.

JUst a thought....

Thanks. It just took a hour or so to get over it, lol. Now I am really putting my thinking cap on. Just so you know, It is just a hobby at the moment. I have been making candles for 5 years, just for me and family. But I was actually thinking about selling. You can't buy a quality candle here. I have been researching for awhile. But I was feeling like my dream got squashed this morning. Right now I am so small time I really can understand why a supplier would find it more of a pain to ship this way. I have a call into our local barge line to see what other options I might have. Its just a matter of how to get it to them. Thanks for the support.:smiley2:

Hi Carrie,

Fed ex, and UPS charges are even more. Since it is Alaska. Fed ex only goes to Anchorage then would have to be mailed via the post office from there to me. UPS is only shipped 2nd day air to where I live. It would cost well over a hundred a case to ship that way.

I have had a supplier contact me and say they could flat rate 10 lbs in a box for 9.50, I would just be getting 5 parcels for a case of wax. Sounds expensive but is still less than priority, lol. I will probably never be able to make a small business, but at least I can still make them for me. My dh is so sweet. He said it doesn't matter what the shipping is, if I love making them than keep doing it. :cheesy2:

Also you might want to look into asking some of these companies if they will use DHL. I have ALWAYS been able to get a dirt cheap price on shipping with them. I know they are have locations worldwide, but sometimes can be far from some cities. Lets put it this way, my dad mailed me his xmas tree that was est at 75 lbs and it cost $26.00 to ship. Just an idea :D

I'd look into making a road trip to the nearest wax place, with a big truck, if the gas would cost less than shipping. Load her up as much as you can afford maybe? Hope you find a reasonable solution. Maybe find out from locals if anyone is driving in or out of the area, and they can drive some in to you?

I'd look into making a road trip to the nearest wax place, with a big truck, if the gas would cost less than shipping. Load her up as much as you can afford maybe? Hope you find a reasonable solution. Maybe find out from locals if anyone is driving in or out of the area, and they can drive some in to you?

Lol. I live in a very remote place. There are roads but they don't lead out. The only way out is by air or water. LOL. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Lol. I live in a very remote place. There are roads but they don't lead out. The only way out is by air or water. LOL. Thanks for the suggestion though.

holy COW that certainly does qualify as remote! and no wonder shipping is $$. bet everything else is too.

I wonder if your local grocery store could possibly order some for you, if they usually get shipping done in huge quantities?

That really stinks that you're that remote. Well I mean, it's not good if you need candle stuff. It must be beautiful though to live there. :)