Bert's Testers Review

Ilona

SO I made a bunch of testers this week and have a few results to post:

Right now the knock me down winer is Fig and Mellon! It is so yummy! I poured it in J223, Comfort Blend, and 6006. All have knock you down cold throw. My kids said this scent smells like starburst or tropical fruit roll ups. Its very sweet (which I love). I think mixing it with some Warm Vanilla Sugar would be awesome.

The Lemon Biscotti pie - from reviews I was expecting the same intense cold throw as the melon. It wasn't as strong as the melon, but still very good. I like the custardy bakery blend in this scent. It's a very nice scent so I hope it will burn well for me. :)

I poured it in:

CB135

Glass Glow Palm (has best Cold Throw! but I need to test burn it)

J223

Comfort Blend

GL 70/30

Tarts

The soy ones still have to cure but I plan to burn the J223 and comfort blend tomorrow. I'll let you know how it acts. :)

I also poured Christmas Pear, Sugar Cookies, and Wedding Cake. The pear smells lovely in wax - very nice blend. The sugar cookies and wedding cake have a weak-ish cold throw. But for me a strong throw is one I can smell without having to put my nose to wax (the melon is like that).

Now I loved the Warm Vanilla Sugar OOB. It was very true to the BBW scent that I have here. I poured it in J223 and in Comfort blend two days ago. I am burning the j223 one right now and it's been burning for an hour and not much of a throw on it. :( It has great melt pool and wick is fine, but it's pretty weak throwing. I will try the comfort blend one either later tonight of tomorrow and I hope it will perform better in that wax. I also have it in soy but that needs to cure first. Bummer for this. Looks like it will go into B&B - it's such a nice scent but TSW White Vanilla Sugar throws sooooo much stronger. I just hate paying SW prices for it.

Vanilla Latte is FAB. Great cold throw. WIll test burn soon.

So it appears that the fruits are strong, but the cakes and vanillas are weaker. I have yet to find a white cake that throws very very strong. ICS was the best I could get - and sugar cookie is another tough one. It's still to early to judge with these, but I will give you all updates as they are test burned.

:)

Bert's right -- blend that musk with some florals...Jasmine, musk & vanilla is a nice blend. Sandalwood, amber & musk is another nice blend if you're into earthy scent.

Pam - I have no idea how this musk would work! It's not like any musk I've ever bought from TSW, SC, OT or other suppliers. It's like animal stinky yuck. I don't want to offend Bert but I have to be honest - the description only said:

"A traditional musk scent, no other perfume type scents mingled in."

I've bought many musk scents, as I love a clean musk to cut the sweetness of some fragrances, but this musk is really strong and smells like a ferret! Really. I think people should know and if that is what they are looking for - that's great. I wanted more of a "WHite MUsk" kind of scent to blend with berry and vanillas etc. This one - not for me.

I love the others. And seeing how they perform when I burn the candles will be great. I will not stop buying from Bert - but we have to review the good and the bad. The fig and Mellon will be a keeper if it burns well. And I'm off to pour the Cedar which smells awesome OOB.

Anyone want my 16oz Musk bottle? Free with shipping? PM me.

edt for type-os

I think this is a good thread to keep going. The other one is so long it's impossible to find any info. I think we should keep this one going with just results.

Just wanted to add that Raspberry Brulee in GB 444 at 6% is awesome. Burns beautifully and smells amazing.

Having a little trouble wicking the Andes thin mint. Anyone else have problems with this?

I have 5 more testers poured and waiting. I will post results this week.

Also got a little fuel smell in the Tropical Vanilla but the tin I had it poured in was way overwicked so I'm gonna change the wick and hope it helps. This is a very nice scent, oob.

ETA: Glad to know about the musk. I already have a ferret so don't need any more of that scent here, LOL!

Re: Musk. The full description on the website said. "A traditional musk scent, no other perfume type scents mingled in. This would be great for those looking for a base mixer!!!" For those of us who have hunters in the family we know exactly what that means. :shocked2: No, I wouldn't want to make a candle with that as the only FO in it! The confusion may have come in with the popularity of Jovan Musk - it is actually a blend of Jasmine, Neroli and Bergamot with a touch of musk. Their White Musk blends Jasmine, Ylang Ylang & Honeysuckle again with a touch of musk. Many of the other FOs from suppliers with Musk in their names are actually blends!

This is one of the oils you have to treat with kidd gloves because a little goes such a long way. By adding "a small tip" into another earthy-type FO (amber, sandalwood, vanilla or even a very strong fruit or floral) adds so much to the fragrance depth of a candle!

Or as PamW said - multiple fragrances can be blended! I didn't expect it to be a stand-alone FO.

Hey Sharon ... I tested OFSC before Christmas ... it didn't throw well for me (FH50/50, 8%, CD12, 8oz mason jar, 4 day cure). I like CS's Sugar Cookie better.

This year I made my own combo ... 50% KY's Toasted Marshmallow & 50% CS's Sugar Cookie ... I sure sold alot of it!

Hey Sharon ... I tested OFSC before Christmas ... it didn't throw well for me (FH50/50, 8%, CD12, 8oz mason jar, 4 day cure). I like CS's Sugar Cookie better.

This year I made my own combo ... 50% KY's Toasted Marshmallow & 50% CS's Sugar Cookie ... I sure sold alot of it!

Thanks CB (Happy New Year, BTW!!!) That sounds YUM!

I have a customer looking for a cookie scent, she doesn't care what flavor cookie....I'll have to look and see what I have that I can throw together, maybe.... :confused:

KY's Toasted Marshmallow is a year round best seller for me ... in the spring I rename it Vanilla Cream. When mixing with 50% Sugar Cookie for the holidays, I named it Vanilla Sugar Cookie ... it was like a Sugar Cookie on steroids. :drool:

Happy New Year to you too my friend. :wave:

I've tested these scents in my 415 wax and Melt Blend

8 oz. Sq. Mason

HTP 104

2 Day Cure Time unless noted

Orange Spice- It's a light scent, OOB the spice is strong. In wax it was very light all you could smell is orange with a 2 day cure. Made another one cured it for 1 week (way to long) and it was still light.

Black Raspberry Vanilla- Excited that I finally found one that will throw well in both of my waxes.

Wedding Cake- Really like this scent

Fall Festival- Strong, Strong, Strong with both waxes. Different scent nice for fall.

Tropical Vanilla- OOB really nice, smelt a very strong bubble gum note. Maybe that's just me. First poured it into Melt Wax and had a strong fuel smell but that went away when I tested the Melt. Still waiting for the 415 to cure, just poured it today.

Butterscotch- OOB smells great, Nice even scent with my 415 and Melt wax BUT when you first light it or put it in your warmer. It smells like Puke. But after it lingers it smells better. No, joking had 4 testers out of 5 tell me the exact same thing.

Mindy

So the musk has gone to a new home Yay! :yay:

And I think Bert's site has the updated description so all of us "white perfume muskies" do not get shocked like I did. :rolleyes2 LOL

Ok more reviews:

Lemon Biscotti in candles:

Amazing throw! I am testing my small italian wine glasses that I imported from Italy and they are only 6oz volume and appx 2.7 diameter. I need strong throwing oils for these little critters and this one is it! I've been burning it for 4 days (you know how sometimes the first burn is great but then oil burns off and it gets poor as the candle burns down?) Everytime I light this my little puny candle fills my 800 sq foot room! It's FAB.

I've tested j223, comfort blend, palm wax (Great in palm!!), 135 after just 6 days cure works awesome! however GL 70/30 is not throwing well :( . I think I will give up on this wax. :(

Blackberry:

Awesome! Sour sour tart lovely yum! Very strong. Cold throw is wonderful. Hot throw equally great in J223 and palm. This is the perfect blackberry - I plan to do some blenders with it.

Black Cherry:

I need to test burn it but in wax has a fab cold throw and does not burn out your nasal passages like other cherry scents. Would be wonderful to blend with chocolate.

Fig and Mellon:

This scent in my little candles is strong! Did you all smell it yesterday? I swear they could smell this in China.

Sugar cookies isn't throwing :(

Christmas Pear -

Throws excellent in Comfort Blend and 135 - GL 70/30 again - poor throw. GL's blend looks great in the glass, the adhesion is wonderful - but what's looks if it will not throw other than the GL oils?

OK those are the one's I've test burned. I'll update as I do more tests. :)

I've tested these scents in my 415 wax and Melt Blend

8 oz. Sq. Mason

HTP 104

2 Day Cure Time unless noted

Orange Spice- It's a light scent, OOB the spice is strong. In wax it was very light all you could smell is orange with a 2 day cure. Made another one cured it for 1 week (way to long) and it was still light.

Black Raspberry Vanilla- Excited that I finally found one that will throw well in both of my waxes.

Wedding Cake- Really like this scent

Fall Festival- Strong, Strong, Strong with both waxes. Different scent nice for fall.

Tropical Vanilla- OOB really nice, smelt a very strong bubble gum note. Maybe that's just me. First poured it into Melt Wax and had a strong fuel smell but that went away when I tested the Melt. Still waiting for the 415 to cure, just poured it today.

Butterscotch- OOB smells great, Nice even scent with my 415 and Melt wax BUT when you first light it or put it in your warmer. It smells like Puke. But after it lingers it smells better. No, joking had 4 testers out of 5 tell me the exact same thing.

Mindy

Hey Mindy, Have you fired up that tropical vanilla yet? I'm anxious to hear your results. I have one burning and getting a little fuel smell off and on. Not sure why it comes and goes but when it goes it smells great.

Maybe it's just my nose!

Rebecca

:( I hate to hear the Warm Vanilla Sugar is not throwing. Have you been able to test the burns on your others waxes you poured with it? I got some last week, I have not put into wax yet. I normaly use ICS, and Bert's seem to be a little weeker OOB in comparason. I was hoping I could get by with it but now I am worried:o

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE ON MORE TESTING

OK so here are tests I did in Soy with a 2-3 week cure (I used CB-135)

Amber Romance - Great throw - nice scent.

Sugar Cookies - Poor throw :(

Andes Mint - FAB throw - lasted a long time. Delish.

Christmas Pear - Strong Throw

Wedding Cake - Weak in soy - too bad as it was great OOB

Tootsie Roll - Very Strong - YUMMY!

I'll be testing more and will keep you updated. I poured the banana but I need to try it in another wax as the 135 did not throw it well.