Hot-pour Process

pajnstl

Hi!

I was reading the Tutorial for the hot-process of soap making, and I see that the lady used a crockpot. My question is.. Once the crock-pot is used for making soap, does it now become "THE SOAP POT"? LOL It may be a silly question, but I wanted to know if I should go out and buy a cheapo crock pot for this.

This will be my 1st time attempting hot process, so any other helpful tips/hints you have will be so GREATLY appreciated!

Hmmm. Good question. I, personally, went out and bought one "just for soap". I hit a sale and got a 6qt one for like $20. Didn't want to take any chances. I would think it would be ok....the stoneware inside is glazed and all.....if it cracked, I wouldn't use it for food... But I don't know.

It sure is easy to clean though!

Donna

I use mine just for soap. I bought a seperate one for food. I have noticed after using it for soap for awhile, the shiny glaze on the inside is gone. I assume the lye has eaten it away. I think a seperate one is a better idea. JMO:)

I think that HPing has marred the enamel finish, even though I only used a plastic spoon and my SB. I think maybe the convex shape of the bottom (very slight) allowed the SB to just barely touch the enamel maybe.

And though I though lye shouldn't react with the ename, i can see in the finish where the level of the soap is during the cook - KWIM? The shine is gone, as brydean says.

So now I have separate ones